• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

And you think ammo is expensive??

Do not EVER pay for a dog. There are so many fantastic animals that need your love out there. Please do not help the puppy mills and neckbeard breeders make a single dollar more. Adopt, adopt, adopt! Again, adopt!

Tried that and it sucked. Phone interview went ok. The interviewer preferred no kids, WTF?, also liked the fact that we had a fenced yard but wanted an agreement that the dog would be inside at night, again, wtf?. Another interviewer called and had rescued 2 puppies from a 'life of work at a farm ' and would we be interested in one. What's wrong with a dog on a farm?

Screw that, we wanted to replace our Lab but non shedding so found a Labradoodle breeder on Craigslist for 40% of the big time breeders. Now 2 years old she is the best dog I've ever owned. Nothing wrong with Craigslist.

Tried that and it sucked. Phone interview went ok. The interviewer preferred no kids, WTF?, also liked the fact that we had a fenced yard but wanted an agreement that the dog would be inside at night, again, wtf?. Another interviewer called and had rescued 2 puppies from a 'life of work at a farm ' and would we be interested in one. What's wrong with a dog on a farm?

Screw that, we wanted to replace our Lab but non shedding so found a Labradoodle breeder on Craigslist for 40% of the big time breeders. Now 2 years old she is the best dog I've ever owned. Nothing wrong with Craigslist.
Friend, you got lucky. Sure, there are some great dogs that come from backyard breeders, but there are soooo many that are seriously ****ed up. I see them on a regular basis.

That's why I say go one extreme or the other. Adopt an adult dog that you can evaluate or a puppy from a top quality breeder.

My Lab was bought from more of a conventional breeder vs a homeowner type seller and lived 14+ years. But as a boat owner I wanted a Lab specifically. We spent many years on lake Lanier with him, he absolutely loved the water. He would get so excited he had to be restrained when I dropped my electric powered anchor.

Take that mix breed coon hunting see what happens
the first (and probably one of the top 5) squirrel dogs i ever had came from the pound. feist and cur are all basically mixed breed when you get down to it. i've got 3 "mixed breed" dogs treeing behind the house while i type this. old timers around here used to cross terriers, bird dogs and hounds to make tree dogs.

the first (and probably one of the top 5) squirrel dogs i ever had came from the pound. feist and cur are all basically mixed breed when you get down to it. i've got 3 "mixed breed" dogs treeing behind the house while i type this. old timers around here used to cross terriers, bird dogs and hounds to make tree dogs.
Yes sir there are some out there Those old time bread his dogs for a purpose

Friend, you got lucky. Sure, there are some great dogs that come from backyard breeders, but there are soooo many that are seriously ****ed up. I see them on a regular basis.

That's why I say go one extreme or the other. Adopt an adult dog that you can evaluate or a puppy from a top quality breeder.
what makes a "backyard breeder"? the AKC loves to use that term for some reason. most registries seem to be designed to control who makes the money.

Back
Top Bottom