• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another reason why you should know the laws before you use your gun....

Cops do it all the time

I don't remember the exact wording but the essence of many dept's. use of force policy is that if the Officer has "reasonable expectation" that the felony offender may present a strong risk of death or risk of death to the public they can use lethal force.

Why do you assume he didn't know the law? :confused:

I'm trying to imagine walking into my home and finding a family member tied up at gun point. The suspect then flees. I guess at that point I have two options.
1) "It's OK honey/son, let me untie you. The bad man is gone. I'll get on the phone now to call the real estate agent and a therapist.
or
2) Sling every grain of lead at him/them I can get my hands on as long as I can see them.

I get your point but there is no way I'm letting an armed felon who broke into my home leave unscathed if I can help it.

Only because of O.C.G.A. 16-3-21.

I seriously doubt he knows the law since my best guess from experience is that 90-95% of gun owners don't.

If there was ANY reasonable justification that the shooter was defending himself, a third party, or preventing a forcible felony then he might could pull it off but I doubt there was.

Depending on the circumstances a good attorney might get him off or more likely get the charges reduced but it will be tough.

Not saying it's fair but like Ayoob always said, "You have to survive not only the encounter but also the aftermath".

If I'm in jail I can't provide for (much less protect) my family.

Last edited:
and now im having flashbacks to the first part of plato's republic

who was socrates arguing with regrading the definition of justice?
he had several "discussions". One was with Polemarcus, another Thrasymachus, I think...too long ago, I fought too many hippies without my helmet back in the 60's and can't remember much now

He should have learned the laws on the Justified use of Deadly Force beforehand.
I would say he will learn them now... only the cost will be more expensive even if he doesn't go to jail.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/2...t-may-face-charges-after-killing-suspect.html

Several years back something like that happened here in Forsyth County.
The fellow lived very close to his store which was robbed of cigarettes and stuff a couple of times before, late at night when the store was closed.
About the 3rd time it was happening, he ran towards the store as they were driving away in the car.
So he popped a shot at them with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck in their general direction.
Be damned if one of those pellets didn't find one of the guys.
Car was later found in Atlanta with the dead guy in it.
The store owner didn't go to jail, he was lucky.
But the store never reopened.
(And they had really good biscuits and were right on my way to work). Damn Crooks!

Last edited:
Shooting a dirt bag who just robbed you and broke into your home and then steels your car. You shoot and kill the asshole and your the bad guy. **** the system, he had it coming.

Back
Top Bottom