• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any air rifle guys in here?

Yes. Any air rifle that uses a coil spring or gas strut as a power source is a 'springer' (break barrel, under lever, or side lever). The old Gamo's are my favorite and are usually backyard friendly. If you see any smoke in the barrel between shots, then it is dieseling (igniting/burning lube that has gotten in front of the piston seal) and that is likely the loud report. That said, some Gamos are way over sprung and break the sound barrier with light pellets, in which case a heavier pellet should quiet it down.
It's a .177 and I'd guess you're right. It shoots fast and there's a telltale crack. Maybe heavier pellets...

Separated at birth. My first was a Daisy “Spittin Image” lever action. Shot it til it fell apart. Then a 760. Shot it til it fell apart.

If this new one falls apart, I’ll be livid.
I started with a Daisy lever action, shot it till it literally fell apart. It was a nice rifle. Then I got a Crosman 760. Wish I still had it. Shot it till it fell apart.

Separated at birth. My first was a Daisy “Spittin Image” lever action. Shot it til it fell apart. Then a 760. Shot it til it fell apart.

If this new one falls apart, I’ll be livid.

heck I still shoot this old Daisy Buck at a cardboard box in the basement. 🤣

536B0AD7-FA98-41B2-8E77-21F63C4FC0A4.jpeg

Yes. Any air rifle that uses a coil spring or gas strut as a power source is a 'springer' (break barrel, under lever, or side lever). The old Gamo's are my favorite and are usually backyard friendly. If you see any smoke in the barrel between shots, then it is dieseling (igniting/burning lube that has gotten in front of the piston seal) and that is likely the loud report. That said, some Gamos are way over sprung and break the sound barrier with light pellets, in which case a heavier pellet should quiet it down.
BTW, just cleaning the barrel may quiet it down since Gamo sends them out pretty greasy. Just remember: NEVER let go of the barrel whenever it is open. Break barrels are finger choppers.

Never knew they had full auto PCP air rifles, comes in .17, .25 & .30 caliber....sure would be fun spraying it at a bunch of cow birds.

I picked up a springer Crosman recently, but it shoots for crap. Ended up putting it's scope on my old pump model and groups are under an inch.

BTW, just cleaning the barrel may quiet it down since Gamo sends them out pretty greasy. Just remember: NEVER let go of the barrel whenever it is open. Break barrels are finger choppers.
Almost broke my arm with a break barrel. User error? Of course, the guy's a dumbass. But from that day forth, I run an M&P 15-22 or American Rimfire with an AAC Element 2!!! No broken bones, no chopped fingertips!!!

In all seriousness, do give the break barrels a great deal of caution and awareness. I also had another one slam shut on me unexpectedly; no injuries, but the barrel bent 45° upwards from the impact. Ruined the rifle.

Almost broke my arm with a break barrel. User error? Of course, the guy's a dumbass. But from that day forth, I run an M&P 15-22 or American Rimfire with an AAC Element 2!!! No broken bones, no chopped fingertips!!!

In all seriousness, do give the break barrels a great deal of caution and awareness. I also had another one slam shut on me unexpectedly; no injuries, but the barrel bent 45° upwards from the impact. Ruined the rifle.

I had an issue working mine last week, wasn't paying attention when swinging the barrel back up to check the grouping and the pad of my hand just under my index finger get cut pretty deep in two places.

It's healing well, but damn I never expected it to slice me up so easily. Probably going to sell it and put the funds towards a .22 suppressor.

Back
Top Bottom