• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Banjo Pickers in Here??

You got metal or plastic picks?
What brand picks are they? The Nationals were skinny and never could get used to the. I got some Dunlops because they were wider. Lots more comfortable to me.
Dunlop Medium plastic for thumb and fingers. Im looking for some metal finger picks. The Dunlop Medium thumb pick is great but the plastic finger picks cant be molded or adjust fit.
I found some in nearby towns, just gotta swing by and try on some metal ones.

Dunlop Medium plastic for thumb and fingers. Im looking for some metal finger picks. The Dunlop Medium thumb pick is great but the plastic finger picks cant be molded or adjust fit.
I found some in nearby towns, just gotta swing by and try on some metal ones.
I use a plastic thumb pick and always use the metal finger picks because you can adjust the tightness as well as the angle of how it hits the string.IMHO

Sorry, got excited about my free to me $150 banjo and had to dig up the old.

How long before these damn banjo picks stop hurting my girlie fingers? :becky:

Don't apologize! Man I enjoy the heck out of it and I'm glad you're playing.
I don't use finger picks, except for maybe the occasional thumb pick. I like the sense of touch, but again, I'm more of a guitar player. My guess is they will stop hurting as soon as you take them off. LOL

I think he's playing it like that because the Mcpherson guitar company is a sponsor. He mentioned during his show that the company is owned by the same family who owns Mathews Archery.

Anyway, Harkin is Irish and grew up on that style of folk music, but in concert he plays a mix of country, folk, and rock. In the show we saw he played covers of Glen Campbell, Fleetwood Mac, and Metallica, as well as folk stuff, pub tunes, and his originals.

I thought I heard hints of Irish in his voice.
As for Lindsey, I am close to being able to pull off that song. He is unusual, for sure. He is tuned down to drop D and capo'd on the 3rd fret, so once I figured that out the chords were pretty easy. It's the picking pattern that is so unusual. He keeps time by alternating the bass strings with his thumb while playing the chords and lead parts with his fingers. Very Merle Travis of him to do that. Chet Atkins was the master of it, along with Travis. Lindsey is great too, and I always thought he was highly underrated as a guitarist, even if he is very successful. Anyway, I'll get it, eventually.

Don't apologize! Man I enjoy the heck out of it and I'm glad you're playing.
I don't use finger picks, except for maybe the occasional thumb pick. I like the sense of touch, but again, I'm more of a guitar player. My guess is they will stop hurting as soon as you take them off. LOL
Yeah, im using the plastic finger picks because I was handed two full sets with the banjo.
Im headed to two music stores today and pick up a few good metal finger picks.
And you are right about the finger picks not hurting after removal :becky:.
4 days and they're getting unpussified

I've been lookin to pic up a banjo for some fun ,but I spend most of my free time on the Strat.

Maybe one day I'll be good like MRH ;)
The one given to me was a bit less than $200 new. Im sure it can be found used cheaper. It is a Ktone and only stays in tune 15-20 min. Which if fine as im still learning to properly tune the banjo quickly and thats a good tuning exercise for me every 15 min.
If I can get the rolls down and stick with it, I will start looking for a good'un to pick on (and fab a tripod to hold the heavy beast:cool:).

The one given to me was a bit less than $200 new. Im sure it can be found used cheaper. It is a Ktone and only stays in tune 15-20 min. Which if fine as im still learning to properly tune the banjo quickly and thats a good tuning exercise for me every 15 min.
If I can get the rolls down and stick with it, I will start looking for a good'un to pick on (and fab a tripod to hold the heavy beast:cool:).
You learning from a book?

Back
Top Bottom