• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any LAWYERS in the House? NYC Parking Ticket - Not My Car

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
Here's the deal:

I had never sold a vehicle "private party" before until this past summer, so I didn't know that GA is a "keep your tag" state. On May 23, 2010, I sold my wife's Volkswagon Passat (registered in her name) to another individual and left the tags on it. Got a Bill of Sale and reported the change to my insurance company.

Several months later I got a notice (addressed to my wife) from the City of New York demanding payment for a parking ticket dated some time in August. Apparently the new owners hadn't registered the car in their name yet and had gotten a parking ticket in NYC. Since my wife was still the registered owner, the ticket came to us.

The form that I was to mail back had an option to dispute the ticket with the "No Longer My Vehicle" claim. So I checked that box and wrote in the space alloted the date of the sale. I mailed the thing back to them.

Some weeks later I got another notice that basically said, "You must provide evidence that you sold the vehicle prior to the issuance of the ticket". One of the ways the letter stated that I could provide sufficient evidence was to mail the letter back along with a copy of the Bill of Sale and insurance paperwork showing that I had removed the vehicle from my insurance at the time of the sale. So I did exactly that, and I even highlighted and circled the parts of the insurance document that showed where I had dropped the VW and replaced it with a Jeep Cherokee.

This Monday I got ANOTHER letter from NYC stating that the ticket is now "in judgement" and they have added a $60 fine (making the total $120.86). It goes on to state the following:

Neglecting to satisfy your parking violation debt may have serious consequences. Possible enforcement action may make any vehicle registered in your name eligible for towing, which includes associated fees. Your income and assets may also be seized. More importantly, credit and title search companies can learn of filed judgement and may cause them to re-evaluate and lower your credit rating.

Take action now. The New York City Sheriff, a marshal or a collection agency may be next to contact you.

It also provided a phone number to call. So I called the number and told them that I submitted all the evidence to show that I had sold the car, so why are they still levying judgement against my wife for someone else's parking violation? I also informed them that if this judgement shows up on my wife's credit history, we will not hesitate to file suit against the City of New York.

After going around in circles with the...um....nice....lady on the other end, I requested to speak with her supervisor. She said that she had already spoken with her supervisor...yada yada yada. So I DEMANDED to speak with her supervisor.

Some minutes later Mrs. Thomas (supposed supervisor) picks up the phone. I explained to her that the...other lady...wasn't listening to what I was telling her and was insisting that we are liable to pay the debt, even though I could PROVE that NOT ONLY did we sell the car months prior to the violation, but we could also PROVE that we were in GA at the time of the violation - NOT NYC.

Mrs. Thomas assured me that her little coworker was correct. I asked her if she was familiar with due process of law and had she ever heard of "innocent until proven guilty" (since they could not prove that we were in NYC and could not prove that my wife had committed the violation in question). She responded "That does not pertain to the City of New York".

WHAT!!!!???!!! Wait a minute...Can I quote you as saying, "Innocent until proven guilty does not pertain to the City of New York?"

"Sir, I don't care what you quote me as saying, I'm telling you that you owe this amount, would you like to take care of that today?"

"No way in Hell. Tell you what, why don't you give me your supervisor's name and direct phone number. I'm sure he'll love to hear that one of his managers just told me that 'innocent until proven guilty does not pertain to NYC'."

Sooooo.......my question is....is there anyone here who can help me out with some (real) legal advice? I refuse to accept that we have to pay somebody else's parking ticket because they were too lazy to register the vehicle (and because we didn't know that you're supposed to "keep the tag"). I also refuse to accept that my wife's credit will be impacted by this whole ordeal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
:popcorn: here too

I suggest contacting a lawyer here...having them right a letter and notarize all of the information you presented...and resend it to them with your lawyer's letter attached.

I'd love to see someone sue Bloomberg the way he loves to sue everyone else...:lol:

Last edited:
Next step....file a stolen vehicle report with the police, if the car is still registered in my wife's name (trying to call the DMV to find out). If we're on the hook because we're the "registered owners", then I want my car back....

And if the new owners state, on the record, that they bought the car back in May, then I should be able to use that to release my wife of responsibility for this ticket.

In other news....I sold my Jeep Wrangler about a month later and didn't take off the plates. So now I'm concerned about whatever trouble the new owner of my old Jeep is getting me into......

I would go to your local tag office and report the tags stolen or lost or something to get it on file with the DMV, that might help out.

If you file a stolen vehicle report..you will 1. Make yourself subject to a criiminal charge of filing a false police report in Ga.

2. When the guy in NY is arrested on your "false report",he will be able to
criminally prosecute you for false arrest and imprisonment as well as civilly
sue you for malicious prosecution.
Your situation sucks but unless you can make contact with a reasonable person (if there is such a thing in NYC govt),
the least expensive way out may be to pay it even though you don't owe it.
I know you maybe looking at the principle of the thing and I don't blame you but attorneys are a lot more expensive than 60.00
You might try a call into or go online to Clark Howard....they are very good about being able to direct you to the right person to talk to and may be able to help you work it out through some of their contacts in NYC.

Last edited:
FYI: The "stolen vehicle report" statement was meant to be read with sarcasm. As others have stated, its hard to "type sarcasm"...I know it would be a false report and that it'd get me into more trouble than the new owner.

As far as hiring an attorney, I'm well aware that that approach could tie up thousands of dollars out of my pocket just to get a $120 ticket overturned. My wife's credit sucks as it is.....so maybe I'll just continue to fight it over the phone and in the mail. If it goes against her credit, then so be it. But I'm not paying the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom