• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any LAWYERS in the House? NYC Parking Ticket - Not My Car

In other news....I sold my Jeep Wrangler about a month later and didn't take off the plates. So now I'm concerned about whatever trouble the new owner of my old Jeep is getting me into

In this case,you don't need to report lost or stolen..just go the tag office with your documentation and explain that you forgot and left the tags on the wrangler by mistake thay can cancel the old tag with DMV.

Your situation sucks but unless you can make contact with a reasonable person (if there is such a thing in NYC govt),
the least expensive way out may be to pay it even though you don't owe it.
I know you maybe looking at the principle of the thing and I don't blame you but attorneys are a lot more expensive than 60.00

This seems to be the standard MO for NYC's government. They make things so complicated that you have to hire a lawyer...which is more expensive than just paying the fine whether you are guilty or not.

I thought that if you didnt pay a ticket in most all states , cities and counties a bench warrant is issued. If it is a traffic ticket and/or moving violation your driving liscense could be suspended/revoked for not paying , it could be worse than you think. maybe settle the tag issue with your local DMV , pay the fine and from then on you would have something on file in case it happened later. That sucks for you , i have had to pay for a many of things i didnt do but thats government for ya:frusty:

Whoa...I'm sorry if something I said offended you. I do appreciate the advice, and I think I probably will at least submit a request via Clark Howard's website.

People that post on here should realize that the rest of us don't know them, we don't know if they are trying to be funny or not, we can only go by what we see and take it at face value. That's what I did. A simple no response at all would have been better than an FYI.

I guess I decided that, to avoid any further headache, I will just suck it up and pay the $120. Going to DMV tomorrow to clear up the tag issues and get both tags taken out of my name.

Let this be a lesson to anyone else out there:

When you sell your car, KEEP YOUR TAG, or this could happen to you :(

Back
Top Bottom