• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any LAWYERS in the House? NYC Parking Ticket - Not My Car

First thing you should do is contact the State Police Office in your area, fill them in on the tag mistake and follow their instructions regarding that.

NOT LEGAL ADVISE-- general info on the collections process

Don't pay the ticket. Keep fighting on paper. The phone is mighty difficult to document and verify. Your notes help but a copy of a letter sent registered with receipt ought to happen. Basically they will sell it to a collection company for 10% of the face value and let them pester you. When you get called or a letter, write them with copies and short explanation and it should go away. With that letter, demand verification of debt and paperwork, then tell them no further contact by phone, all by letter. They gotta do that if you WRITE them. Telling the collection agency on the phone don't count.

If you get sued over it (extremely rare chance-- amount, court process, headaches and such) take your paperwork with you or retain counsel and bring countersuit. Basically you have a headache and potential credit report blackmark but thats not a biggie. Explain the situation to the lender, show them paperwork and its not considered.

If you get paperwork in the mail for a court appearance in NYC, call the State bar up there, they should have a list of attorneys who do free or small fee initial consultations. This is the type of thing most any attorney could defend by phone, while watching the Redskins play the Cowboys.

Nemo, J.D.
Criminal Defense attorney in VA (hence the Redskins thing), before burnout and retirement. (did a fair amount of civil litigation also).

NOT LEGAL ADVISE-- general info on the collections process

Tell 'em to f*ck off. I wouldn't take their threats too seriously. Now I know it's not NYC, and operates even moor piss poorly, but I have 8 unpaid parking tickets with city of Atlanta. Never paid 'em, never will. They sent me crap a few times but I just ignored them.

Tell 'em to f*ck off. I wouldn't take their threats too seriously. Now I know it's not NYC, and operates even moor piss poorly, but I have 8 unpaid parking tickets with city of Atlanta. Never paid 'em, never will. They sent me crap a few times but I just ignored them.

Fair to good chance you will get a letter saying your drivers license is suspended until you pay those tickets. Including a crapton of administrative costs.

Nemo

Fair to good chance you will get a letter saying your drivers license is suspended until you pay those tickets. Including a crapton of administrative costs.

Nemo

Nope. Some of the tickets are 7+ years old. I also heard (can't confirm) that a private company collects the fines for Atl parking tickets. I know that private co's collect money for traffic tickets in some parts of SC. My sister just had a ticket up near Conway(?). Either way, the banana republic known as Atlanta is not getting my money. They can stick those tickets up their a$$es for all I care.

Don't report the tag's stolen since they are not. However since the people who bought the car have not chnaged the plates or registration, I would suggest an identity theft report. Basicly they are using your wifes information to become immune from prosecution. Do however check with your local tag office and let them know you sold the vehicle so plates can taken out of your name. As far a sdealing with New York, jus don't ever visit and you should be ok.
As far as levying on your property they must first sue you in court and be awarded a judgement.

Back
Top Bottom