• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any other British vehicle morons?

I've got a 06 S430. The owner of the company bought it for 500 at auction. No keys. So far there is about $2200 in it. Getting close to exceeding the value of the car with 240,000. Still just such a pleasure to drive.
Benz makes a nice car without a doubt .that 8-12 year old range is great bang for the buck.
I love my ML, it drives beatifully, runs great and the MBtex interior is friggin perfect even at 180k

My buddy back in Perry showed me a 95 Disco sitting in a guy's yard about 4 years ago. He told me he could get it for 4 bills. I told him to leave it where it was and that it had been sitting there that long for a reason. But he didn't listen to me. We got it running half ass and I actually drove it for a few weeks. It will run 70 on the interstate just fine but as soon as you come to a stop it chokes down.
When we call shops all over middle GA and tell them we have a Rover the universal response to that is " Don't bring that damn thing here!" Personally I have always wanted an old pre 88 style XJ6 or any XJS cause they look SO cool. If I had a Rover it would have to be one of those diesel model Defenders.
But it takes a special kind of pain enthusiast to own these cars.
I keep thinking. Man I should grab one of those and gut it. Put a 350 and associated hardware in it. Then I realize. I can just buy a 4x4 Tahoe and my wife won't be mad because I lived at the shop with a Land Rover for 6 months.

That's most likely a transmission fluid level issue. Check for leaks in the lines and plugs and top it off.
When I get back up there I will. We threw parts at it for a while like a throttle position sensor a mass air flow etc. I just wish it was a 96 so it would be OBD2.

I keep thinking. Man I should grab one of those and gut it. Put a 350 and associated hardware in it. Then I realize. I can just buy a 4x4 Tahoe and my wife won't be mad because I lived at the shop with a Land Rover for 6 months.
Well I think the OP posted about a TDI conversion . I know I read about them a while back. I'm not a big fan of VW but the TDI is an awesome engine that gets crazy high MPG. And since the 80s when I really wanted one of these Brit rides I've seen tons of them with Chevy engines. I just couldn't be the one to do that. If you wanna own one you take your lumps and keep it real. Putting a Chevy motor in one to ME is kinda like taking an old Harley Shovel powered bike and replacing it with a Honda V twin.

Grab a D2 that's had the head gaskets done.
That's the biggest issue. Coil packs are a bit of a pain since they're mounted on the back of the motor with almost no clearance against the firewall. Other than that, they eat cooling system parts, but they can be had fairly cheap and are easy to replace.

Well I think the OP posted about a TDI conversion . I know I read about them a while back. I'm not a big fan of VW but the TDI is an awesome engine that gets crazy high MPG. And since the 80s when I really wanted one of these Brit rides I've seen tons of them with Chevy engines. I just couldn't be the one to do that. If you wanna own one you take your lumps and keep it real. Putting a Chevy motor in one to ME is kinda like taking an old Harley Shovel powered bike and replacing it with a Honda V twin.
I see what you mean. I was talking about one of those discovery lawn ornaments with the problematic engines, transmission, etc. I don't think it had a land rover engine anyways. So I wouldn't feel bad getting it back on the road. It would be more akin to putting a hyundai engine in a subaru.

The 200tdi is a Land Rover engine. It's known to be pretty easy to work on and fairly bomb proof.

2.5l, turbo....roughly 111hp and 180ish torque.

When I had my series, there was a guy who'd made a kit to drop in a MB OM616 motor. I was on his wait-list, but he never got enough people to justify making a batch. That would have been killer.

I remember years ago on ebay there was a guy selling a jar of Lucas factory smoke. Just in case your British Leyland POS wiring had let out the smoke from its wires you could use this factory certified smoke. I think it sold for $235.00.

I remember years ago on ebay there was a guy selling a jar of Lucas factory smoke. Just in case your British Leyland POS wiring had let out the smoke from its wires you could use this factory certified smoke. I think it sold for $235.00.
True story, my 95 XJ caught fire in the trunk 3 times thanks to Lucas.

Back
Top Bottom