• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone actually ever used their BUIS?

All my general purpose carbines use some sort of optics with a good set of BUIS, but I’ll honestly say that other than the initial sight in, and then shooting them now and again to check the dope or when changing ammo, I’ve never used the BUIS. So, I’ve used them but I’ve never HAD to use them.

I’ve had classes, especially Combat Carbine Teamwork and STRESS, where I force some of the students to use their BUIS. I’ve had a few instances over the decades where students running cheaper/less dependable optics have had to use their BUIS. Not to be a snob, but I run top-end optics and have never had such issues.

Anyone here ever HAD to go to their BUIS? If so, please tell me with some detail what forced you to do so.

Semper Fi!
Had a site battery quit during training.
One thing is certain... if something goes wrong it will do so at the worst possible time. Why would you take that chance. What possible advantage would they be to not having them?

I once WISH I had back-up iron sights (actually, a see-through scope mount) on a rifle I was hunting with one time.
Cool and cloudy day. Humid. I was walking up and down hills and getting red-faced sweating a lot.
When I looked through the scope, it fogged-over in seconds. I'd wipe it, and then it would re-fog in seconds again.
Putting it anywhere near my face made it happen very fast-- it wouldn't be such an issue with a non-magnifying red dot optic that you can still use with your eye several inches back.

All my general purpose carbines use some sort of optics with a good set of BUIS, but I’ll honestly say that other than the initial sight in, and then shooting them now and again to check the dope or when changing ammo, I’ve never used the BUIS. So, I’ve used them but I’ve never HAD to use them.

I’ve had classes, especially Combat Carbine Teamwork and STRESS, where I force some of the students to use their BUIS. I’ve had a few instances over the decades where students running cheaper/less dependable optics have had to use their BUIS. Not to be a snob, but I run top-end optics and have never had such issues.

Anyone here ever HAD to go to their BUIS? If so, please tell me with some detail what forced you to do so.

Semper Fi!
I had a scope on my M4 over in Iraq. I got blown the **** up and it knocked the cross hairs lose to the point they were rattling around in the scope tube which I didn't notice until my next fire fight at which time I threw that POS on the ground and grabbed my M249. <----- Back up sights LOL. Solid steel only from now on for this cat.

I had a scope on my M4 over in Iraq. I got blown the **** up and it knocked the cross hairs lose to the point they were rattling around in the scope tube which I didn't notice until my next fire fight at which time I threw that POS on the ground and grabbed my M249. <----- Back up sights LOL. Solid steel only from now on for this cat.

Yeah, but the regular Army tends to buy crap optics, like Leupold. LOL

Semper Fi!

I had to on my Scar 17, it ate my optic mid day into shooting. I will say, I really like the FN factory sights.

Got sent this by a SWAT member I’ve known for years. Great guy and stellar operator.

I saw your post about BUIS. My work gun is a Colt M4 with a 1-4 scope. I’ve never put irons on it because I’ve never seen or heard of anybody actually needed them. Especially with a 1-4 optic where battery life isn’t an issue. But, we had a call out recently where I wish I had them and am now in the market for some. It was really raining for about 3 hours. The optic on my M4 kept fogging up and was almost useless. I made it work but it sure would’ve been nice to just rotate my rifle and go to irons that rain doesn’t effect like Dueck Defenses. They pricey but that’s what I’m leaning towards.

I didn’t want to post this with my name attached but you can copy it if you’d like.

Back
Top Bottom