• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone build a deck before? Advice needed.

1' high? Why? That's self inflicted maintenance. Build a patio instead.
I have a decent sized two level deck I designed. Maintenance sucks!
You could build it out of synthetic but it'll triple your cost.

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

I build decks professionally and when on a sales call for a grade level deck, I usually talk the customer into a masonry patio, and I don't sell them. I have sold myself out of a job on several occasions. Stamped concrete or pavers perform so much better.

If you need to step down from your house, to the ground a wood landing out the door into the masonry patio is a good option.

Feel free to give me a call and I will talk with you about options. If a deck does turn out to be the right fit I can give you some build tips.

I have built many of deck as well as drawn up plans for them. There are many different approaches, but basically
us pressure treated 2x10 at 16" on center for your framing. At only 2' off the ground 4x4 post every 8' will support
it just fine. Set the 4x4's in or on a conc. pad. Take the time to make sure it is square before you start setting the
deck boards. Easiest way to do that is take diagonal measurements from corner to corner.

Good luck

^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

I build decks professionally and when on a sales call for a grade level deck, I usually talk the customer into a masonry patio, and I don't sell them. I have sold myself out of a job on several occasions. Stamped concrete or pavers perform so much better.

If you need to step down from your house, to the ground a wood landing out the door into the masonry patio is a good option.

Feel free to give me a call and I will talk with you about options. If a deck does turn out to be the right fit I can give you some build tips.

Stamped concrete is an awesome idea. I wish I had done that myself. We had someone put in a stone patio, but after a few years it settles and gets uneven and moss grows between the pavers.

Stamped concrete is an awesome idea. I wish I had done that myself. We had someone put in a stone patio, but after a few years it settles and gets uneven and moss grows between the pavers.

Unfortunately if/when the ground settles under stamped, it cracks an/or becomes uneven at joints.

Most important aspect is your leveling and placement of the pads and blocks for the foundation. Extra time and effort there will translate into a lot less maintenance later

Oh, and go ahead and put a roof over it... You'll thank me later.

Back
Top Bottom