• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone build a deck before? Advice needed.

As others have sayed. Patio. Wooden decks are for boats and other places where you can't pour concrete.

Unfortunately if/when the ground settles under stamped, it cracks an/or becomes uneven at joints.

Only if it is badly built. Too thin, uneven footing, bad composition, etc. And even when it does crack, it usually cracks along the stamped pattern.

don't do it you'll be power washing and staining it constantly

do a concrete slab

if you have to use trex lumber, the "premium treated lumber" they sell at home depot and lowes is crap...

if you do buy pressure treated lumber make sure when doing runs they are the same width, they vary.

The ends are NOT square, don't trust them cut every board square

Use SCREWS they cost more but it's worth it

use a FINISH nail between boards for spacing they will SHRINK and WARP due to the quality of the lumber even with SCREWS in every joist.

Forget it, just pour concrete, or get patio bricks and do that.

Google "quality of todays pressure treated lumber"

I hand selected "top of the line" pressure treated lumber, it warped, split, shrank after being screwed down over a 1 year period, several times I had to replace boards. My buddy had one built and all his boards started oozing and sweating sap after the sun it it, split, gapped like mad the works.

They speed grow the trees now and the density is not as good as 20 years ago, also the process they use for pressure treating is not as good. You find numerous complaints about pressure treated lumber all over the web.

Avoid it.

One consideration - the composite decking is worse for absorbing heat than wood. If the deck will be in direct sunlight you may find yourself having to wear shoes in order to walk on it.

Back
Top Bottom