• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever seen this?

absolutely. I wish they would come out with barrels that are drilled at the bare minimum to make a hole, but let me choose the size of the gas port depending on what I am going to use the barrel for. One of the reasons almost all of my SBRs have barrels that started life as 16" barrels is often while over-gassed for a carbine, they are close to being right for a 10.3,10.5,11.5, etc when using a suppressor.

Funny though, with every barrel I have cut down for a suppressed SBR, only one of them required opening the gas port more and even it was close enough it probably would have been fine with a can attached.

I found buying factory shorty barrels they were all so over gassed it would spend hundreds of dollars trying to tame it down and still get blasted in the face.

That isn’t a bad idea. I keep the reamers on hand in my shop for opening up gas ports to their proper size for the barrel length, gas system length, and intended use.

Sionics used to offer gas ports in standard, reduced size, and extra reduced size. Very nice.

Building a AR15 I consider childs play. Having an attitude at building them is petty and childish. Building them and diagnosing them is easy. There is only one way to put together. Right or wrong. I taught myself years ago to build them one a day. Proper parts selection and personal preference came with a little more time. Since day one I have never had to take my guns to someone to diagnose a problem.

It has taken me a lifetime to gather knowledge of gas engines, diesel, two stroke ( motorcycle and boat ) and small lawn care equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, appliance, air con, carburetors and much more. I still try and stay humble and teach anybody willing to listen, watch and learn. I don't ever come down hard on someone that doesn't see things my way. Correcting or teaching someone is like teachers you either hated or loved in school. They got the job done and were cool about it. Anything other than that is just assholish. No ifs, ands or buts. That's just a massive character flaw. PERIOD! Especially when dealing with something as simple as a AR15.

There are plenty of members that have built their own AR's and the function perfectly and have done so for years. They won't dare say a word in fear of being rebuked by the high and mighty. I don't blame them. Just like in high school this site has its clicks. They can be brutal. Childish but brutal.

If AR’s are so simple, why are you so consistently wrong, and regularly demonstrate your complete and utter lack of knowledge on the subject? You routinely display your ignorance (again, the dictionary definition and not a personal attack), and double down on your lack of knowledge on the subject when it is shown in plain English, and refuse to learn or correct your behavior. Truly mind boggling, mate. That is not being humble, that is keeping your head in a hole and refusing to learn. Worse, it is throwing your incorrect information around where the truly uninformed may latch onto it and apply it.

Just because you can do something that’s much more complicated, like build an engine, doesn’t mean that you can necessarily do things that are much more simple.

I have invented very little, other than some tools to make the job simpler and easier to do correctly. Other than that, I am using the TDP and manufacturer’s specs to assemble. That’s what I teach, and that’s what I expound upon here. If you disagree with this information, you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with the folks that invented and perfected the system. The folks that service and repair them for the US military. The folks at the manufacturers that designed the part from scratch, and have stated how it should be put together.

I’m not here for your feelings, or anyone else’s feelings. If my methods and demeanor offend you, that’s on you. I have plenty of folks that pay me for training over and over again over the decades that are just fine with it. I’m here to share information that is factual, and gleaned from recognized sources. If you want to wallow in your ignorance, you are free to do so, but don’t throw it around as some kind of alternate or better way to properly perform a task.

I talk to folks all day that are just getting started in AR’s and are well and truly innocently ignorant. We have great conversations, lessons are learned, and they come to me and the shop over and over again for more information and parts.

I routinely get first time builds come across my bench that don’t function properly. I explain to the folks what is wrong, how it should be done, and why. They are glad for the knowledge and leave happier than when they came in.

My entire argument is based on the fact that it is as easy to PROPERLY assemble an AR as it is to half-ass it. Yes, it takes more tools, but the knowledge is out there and available from reputable sources. Exactly the same as working on your engine, or building a motor. Why not use the proper torque specs? Why not use the proper tools? When I service the transmission in my 2001 Ram 2500, I follow the Chilton’s book to make sure that I do everything properly, and torque the bands to spec. It would be ignorant of me to do it any other way.

Brothers and sisters…let thy remember thy OPith only askith what thy red spongey piece melted in his lower was. Thy answer was completed within the first 4 posts. Be now at peace.

It wouldn’t be the ODT if a simple question wasn’t branched out multiple ways and argued upon for 11 pages.

Building a AR15 I consider childs play. Having an attitude at building them is petty and childish. Building them and diagnosing them is easy. There is only one way to put together. Right or wrong. I taught myself years ago to build them one a day. Proper parts selection and personal preference came with a little more time. Since day one I have never had to take my guns to someone to diagnose a problem.

It has taken me a lifetime to gather knowledge of gas engines, diesel, two stroke ( motorcycle and boat ) and small lawn care equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, appliance, air con, carburetors and much more. I still try and stay humble and teach anybody willing to listen, watch and learn. I don't ever come down hard on someone that doesn't see things my way. Correcting or teaching someone is like teachers you either hated or loved in school. They got the job done and were cool about it. Anything other than that is just assholish. No ifs, ands or buts. That's just a massive character flaw. PERIOD! Especially when dealing with something as simple as a AR15.

There are plenty of members that have built their own AR's and the function perfectly and have done so for years. They won't dare say a word in fear of being rebuked by the high and mighty. I don't blame them. Just like in high school this site has its clicks. They can be brutal. Childish but brutal.

Assembling an AR is childs play. Understanding what makes it work and behave the way it does is something else altogether.

Anyone can slap a parts kit together and then throw an H3 buffer in the back to try to tame the gas pressures.

Actually troubleshooting and tuning the gun for the intended purposes is an entirely different story.

Luckily for the home parts kit assembler, we have things like H3 buffers, adjustable gas blocks, extra power springs, etc so you can get the gun to run reliably even if you don't have the time, money, or knowledge to properly tune a rifle. Or you can just dump it, proclaim ARs to be junk, and buy an AK as I have seen so many do over the years.

Sometimes you say stupid ****
thats-right-neighbor-jody.gif

Back
Top Bottom