• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone have a personal deer cooler to hang them?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
The only reason I don't process
My own is because it rarely gets cold enough here to hang them outside to bleed off otherwise I would.

I'd love to get
My hands on a stand up cooler big enough for a deer or maybe two.

Any suggestions?

I'd probably save money this way in the long run from high dollar processing fees.

You could always skin and quarter them and put them in a large cooler full of ice for a week or so. May have to drain and add fresh ice every 2 or 3 days though. My grandfather and quite a few other people I've known always did it that way and processed their own.

20141019_121318.jpg My Club built one on some property we own, it's 5 x 6 and will hold about 8 deer with no problem. So far we have about 5k in the building and cooling system. Sure does make it nice to be able to store game properly.

The only reason I don't process
My own is because it rarely gets cold enough here to hang them outside to bleed off otherwise I would.

I'd love to get
My hands on a stand up cooler big enough for a deer or maybe two.

Any suggestions?

I'd probably save money this way in the long run from high dollar processing fees.
Get a big cooler and keep ice on the quartered meat for a week. Keep the drain plug opened so the water runs out and keep the meat pulled up off the bottom. Refill ice as it melts. Done it like this for years and it works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom