• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone heard about this ruling:

I really don't know how this one should go as a matter of a "constitutional right." Because it is true that for many purposes a person under 21 was considered a minor both at the time of the founding of this nation and in the 1860s when the civil rights amendments were passed applying all of the bill of rights to cities, counties, and states.

QUOTE from the PRO-2A reply brief in the 5th Circuit.

"To try to make this a textual limitation, the Government emphasizes that those under 21 were minors at the Founding and cites restrictions from that era on their exercise of certain rights, including the rights to petition, enter contracts, serve on juries, and vote."

So, the modern idea that you're an adult at 18 for all purposes doesn't really hold water.

I Think I would prefer a bright line age limit for all purposes ---and that means whatever that age is that's when you can have any kind of legal gun, drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, vote, serve in the military, or get a professional license to do anything from cosmetology to pest control to security work to neurosurgery --as long as you have the right education and credentials.

But....you can join the Army be issued a SAW and kill on command....smh

Yeah, and it's always been that way and the very first generation of leaders of this country knew that.

When Congress passed the Militia Act of 1792, they said the militia may consist of able-bodied males from 18 up to 45 years of age. Despite the common law tradition that people under 21 were minors and 21 was the age of majority.

Back
Top Bottom