• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riddle me this, background check style

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
How does the ATF propose to check if a firearm transaction occurred with a background check? There's no check performed here in Ga with a CWP from a dealer anyway. They can't stop is to see if we have a permit; are they going to stop us randomly and want to trace a serial number? The trace is going to dead end at the first dealer sale from the distributor, even if the gun was transferred 10 more times from a dealer, they have no way of attaining those records without physically going to every gun store and searching their 4473s.

What am I missing here? Passing a rule that is impossible to enforce sounds like a money laundering scam between the government and the atf......

How does the ATF propose to check if a firearm transaction occurred with a background check? There's no check performed here in Ga with a CWP from a dealer anyway. They can't stop is to see if we have a permit; are they going to stop us randomly and want to trace a serial number? The trace is going to dead end at the first dealer sale from the distributor, even if the gun was transferred 10 more times from a dealer, they have no way of attaining those records without physically going to every gun store and searching their 4473s.

What am I missing here? Passing a rule that is impossible to enforce sounds like a money laundering scam between the government and the atf......
I can’t believe you would assume there’s anything nefarious going on here. These folks in the govt are only looking out for our best interests. Shame on us for being so naive about guns.

Pretty much all this rule does is "clarify" who is or isn't "engaged in the business of selling firearms" and therefore required to have an FFL. As far as I can tell it has placed no new restrictions on anyone nor is it any kind of attempt at universal background checks. The sky is not falling. It is not even an attempt to stop the so called gun show loophole. It is pretty much just nonsense put out there so the current administration can lie to their base (more of the same bs) and say: look what we were able to accomplish (which was absolutely nothing).

When someone gets picked up for some other "offense" that the ATF decides you've committed, this will be another chapter in "The Book" that they can throw at the defendant.

Another regulation that they'll use to enhance the charge, putting more pressure on the defendant to cop a plea deal, which in turn means that they got their man without the public attention that could arise in the event of the defendant's lawyers getting even a partial "win".

The purpose of the ATF is not to prosecute genuine crime. It's to suppress 2A supporters' will to oppose them.

I also don't understand the "selling for profit" part of this.

So if I bought a Mosin or SKS back in the day for $99, if I sell them today at the going rate, I am going to make a profit. That makes me a dealer???

I also don't understand the "selling for profit" part of this.

So if I bought a Mosin or SKS back in the day for $99, if I sell them today at the going rate, I am going to make a profit. That makes me a dealer???

I dunno. It depends on whether "for profit" factors in the rampant inflation since your "back in the day". You might have made a loss.

Back
Top Bottom