• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone know where I can get a brass punch locally?

Update:

Guys I went into Lowes today. Got some help from an employee. Brass rods were discounted and not the usual internet price. They had a Hillman branded round and square rod. Both came with two in each package. Prices are 1.48 and 1.06. I also needed a new hammer because I am in the process of moving between two properties. Found a solid deal. A 16 oz hammer for 2.49. Its usually 9.99 or something like that. I even got an oak dowel that I am going to cut down to 2-3" inches like Hog killer Hog killer suggested. I tried to find the most durable wood dowel, and between poplar and oak, I chose oak.

Wish me luck. Gonna grab the vice tonight and see if I can drift this rear sight over. Gonna try the wooden dowel first and if doesn't work. I will try the brass rods. :D

Attachments

• 20190131_162041.jpg
    20190131_162041.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
Update:

Guys I went into Lowes today. Got some help from an employee. Brass rods were discounted and not the usual internet price. They had a Hillman branded round and square rod. Both came with two in each package. Prices are 1.48 and 1.06. I also needed a new hammer because I am in the process of moving between two properties. Found a solid deal. A 16 oz hammer for 2.49. Its usually 9.99 or something like that. I even got an oak dowel that I am going to cut down to 2-3" inches like Hog killer Hog killer suggested. I tried to find the most durable wood dowel, and between poplar and oak, I chose oak.

Wish me luck. Gonna grab the vice tonight and see if I can drift this rear sight over. Gonna try the wooden dowel first and if doesn't work. I will try the brass rods. :D
Oak good choice hardwood popular is a softer wood oak will hold up much better good luck my friend

Well tonight has been very frustrating. I brought over the vice and had it clamped down to a secure table. I made a barrel vice block out of scrap wood. Clamped it and it held strong! Went at it with the 16oz hammer and the oak dowel pretty hard. Did not move one hair. (Btw, I wrapped the barrel in some painters tape. A few layers to avoid any marring of the bluing. I also indexed where the diamond is that way I could see if it moved.) I went over to use the brass square rods and after a few wacks they bent.

Out of fear I would mess up the rear sight and hit the barrel with the hammer out of frustration I called it a night.

I'm out of ideas lol.

Have you checked the v-block on that rifle?
Tourqe should be very light. Maybe 20 inch pounds... NOT foot pounds.
Lots of 10/22 I've seen are way over tourqed from factory and from owner swapping barrel.

V-block can cause accuracy issue.

Drift rear sight for adjustment if needed.

Left to right.
Always drift to the right if removing is my experience

Edit for clarification... Hit that sucker on the left side to remove

I did! Its hitting 2 1/4 inches to the left. I need to drift the rear sight right. I hit it on the left and nothing. Might be time to just take it to a gunsmith. Thats two 10/22s that I have had that would not budge. I am not taking any chances on this one. Hell I might scope it at this point.

Back
Top Bottom