• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone looking for a part time person to help build AR15s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Groundhog Day again already?
awake-wake-up.gif

Here's my advice and my background. Funny enough I'm an optometrist so apparently we have somethings in common. I started a firearms manufacturing business as a side passion job probably about 4 years ago. While I wouldn't rely on it for my sole income it certainly has its perks. I spend about 15-20 hrs a week in the shop if I'm lucky. I enjoy the work so it's not a second job to me. Now if you wanna hustle you have to be willing to put in the time to hustle, I work a full time job, run two businesses and then do my firearms stuff on the side of all that.

Now what kind of stuff do I work on? I build literally anything you can think of. I've done custom one off prototype firearms that were never production made such as my pkm bullpup or my AK Kochevnik. But most of my work consists of welding and actually manufacturing a firearm. I'd say combloc and beltfeds are what I specialize in.

I think you should re-evaluate the market space and how much your time is worth. Taking an hour to build a AR and making 30 buck off it doesn't sound remotely worth it to me. Also the market share available for AR builders is pretty much nothing. Only place to make money doing that imo is high end AR for people with more money then sense and or stupid volume in which case you wanna be the investor not the grunt doing the work.

You obviously are hungry to do something in life and at least thinking of ideas. Continue building and expand what you can build, try stuff others are too scared to do.

TLDR: Find yourself a niche that no one else offers and become great at doing that. Even then it might not be worth the effort. Also you continue to mention cheap affordable which is a race to the bottom. You'll never make a living doing cheap and affordable, do quality and get paid what you deserve to get paid.

.....TLDR: Find yourself a niche that no one else offers and become great at doing that. Even then it might not be worth the effort. Also you continue to mention cheap affordable which is a race to the bottom. You'll never make a living doing cheap and affordable, do quality and get paid what you deserve to get paid.
Best advice in the thread thus far. Find a niche and exploit that.

If I were trying to do something with ARs, I'd start by getting some experience at a jewelers or metal plating shop so I could produce something like this pictured below and I'd market it as the 'Hood Thumper' or 'Chump Choppah' and then offer tiers of diamonds/gemstones/precious metals in the design. Custom laser engraved logos would be offered too so you should get some experience doing that.

It'd be a cash business (almost 100%, guaranteed) and the only downside I see is dealing with your target customer base.
1666711368718.png

I know, I missed my opportunity to spend months trolling y'all about how I was gonna make money painting dicks and punisher skulls on your guns.
Dang it, I was just going to send you a rifle to have done in a dickbutt theme.
08DCD5E5-338D-439C-B0BD-A41B75DDAB85.jpeg

Here's my advice and my background. Funny enough I'm an optometrist so apparently we have somethings in common. I started a firearms manufacturing business as a side passion job probably about 4 years ago. While I wouldn't rely on it for my sole income it certainly has its perks. I spend about 15-20 hrs a week in the shop if I'm lucky. I enjoy the work so it's not a second job to me. Now if you wanna hustle you have to be willing to put in the time to hustle, I work a full time job, run two businesses and then do my firearms stuff on the side of all that.

Now what kind of stuff do I work on? I build literally anything you can think of. I've done custom one off prototype firearms that were never production made such as my pkm bullpup or my AK Kochevnik. But most of my work consists of welding and actually manufacturing a firearm. I'd say combloc and beltfeds are what I specialize in.

I think you should re-evaluate the market space and how much your time is worth. Taking an hour to build a AR and making 30 buck off it doesn't sound remotely worth it to me. Also the market share available for AR builders is pretty much nothing. Only place to make money doing that imo is high end AR for people with more money then sense and or stupid volume in which case you wanna be the investor not the grunt doing the work.

You obviously are hungry to do something in life and at least thinking of ideas. Continue building and expand what you can build, try stuff others are too scared to do.

TLDR: Find yourself a niche that no one else offers and become great at doing that. Even then it might not be worth the effort. Also you continue to mention cheap affordable which is a race to the bottom. You'll never make a living doing cheap and affordable, do quality and get paid what you deserve to get paid.
Fair points. And yeah, I do have the want and drive to build AR parts. But u are right. I know the uppers would be high quality and I would charge accordingly, but also make them affordable as possible while still reflecting the quality. But yes,I know its a saturated market and it'll be tough. But I do plan to at least try and see what happens. But I appreciate the words, to you an others giving advice

Best advice in the thread thus far. Find a niche and exploit that.

If I were trying to do something with ARs, I'd start by getting some experience at a jewelers or metal plating shop so I could produce something like this pictured below and I'd market it as the 'Hood Thumper' or 'Chump Choppah' and then offer tiers of diamonds/gemstones/precious metals in the design. Custom laser engraved logos would be offered too so you should get some experience doing that.

It'd be a cash business (almost 100%, guaranteed) and the only downside I see is dealing with your target customer base.
View attachment 4881295

download.jpg

Fair points. And yeah, I do have the want and drive to build AR parts. But u are right. I know the uppers would be high quality and I would charge accordingly, but also make them affordable as possible while still reflecting the quality. But yes,I know its a saturated market and it'll be tough. But I do plan to at least try and see what happens. But I appreciate the words, to you an others giving advice
You're missing the point completely. I'm not trying to be rude. What Hood886 Hood886 is saying is find a niche like he has. Building uppers in a saturated market regardless of how well made are going to return you a net negative.

Keep your passion but do your research before you go all in.

But....but.... you actually produce a tangible product. Not a fair comparison.

Troll w/product service ready for market = supportable.
Troll w/plans to produce product = laughable.
(in a saturated market during a period of highest inflation in 40 years)

Ay-men.

Laughable but in a good way.
Entertaining.

You're missing the point completely. I'm not trying to be rude. What Hood886 Hood886 is saying is find a niche like he has. Building uppers in a saturated market regardless of how well made are going to return you a net negative.

Keep your passion but do your research before you go all in.
I know. I don't thinks it rude. I appreciate the feedback. And will continue to do research and figure out whatll be best. Just saying I will also keep my drive and at least try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom