• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone need a trust?

It makes me mad that people are so ignorant of NFA laws that they will blindly hand over $200 or even $500 to a lawyer who uses a generic form that is nearly identical to Willmaker and uses scare tactics based on no merit to fleece people out of $$$$

it may not be ignorance. it is a choice that they make that they are comfortable with.

I normally pay to have my oil changed for 2 reasons. my time is worth the money I spend to have it done and if something does get screwed up, someone else is liable.

I have spent countless hours looking online for different trust examples, asking multiple people for advice, reading hundreds of posts, and debating on which format to use. in hindsight, it would've been worth the $200 to fill out a form with 4 or 5 names and get an email that same day to print out.

people see value in many different things. I sold two $10k refrigerators today. some people may think that is absolutely absurd to pay for a fridge. others see the value in owning them.

I had a lawyer to create my trust. Imagine my anger when I received it and it was nothing more than a damn brown form that I could have printed off the Internet for free and entered my information into. Keep in mind I used a highly rated often recommended firearms attorney. If I had to do it over again I would use will maker or simply print the brown form myself. The only saving grace was I got him to throw the trust in for free when I was paying him 2 grand for other legal services.

Doug King basically used Willmaker but added language to it, granted he didn't charge anywhere near $200, but still. It's simply a waste of money considering there are the exact same trust documents at the top of this forum for free.

What's even crazier is that the trusts created by Doug were kicked back by the ATF because they were missing information.........trusts created by Quicken Willmaker were fine.

Last edited:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=35&t=492033

Quote from Mark who used to own one of the largest silencer dealers in the nation, whole lot of good that $100 spent on an attorney created trust did. Just because you send some lawyer $200 who no one has ever dealt with before and decided to create a website does not mean your trust is good to go................a $10 software program is.

"To be clear...

If you used most popular software to create your Trust, you won't have this problem.

If you went to a local lawyer who was pretty well regarded for making NFA=specific Trusts, chances are you are missing this form.

Before you panic read your Trust (as you should anyway) and see what "Schedules" are mentioned in the document. The ATF will want to see all schedules mentioned in the document.

We've recently had several Trust transfers rejected for the issue described by the OP. All were created by a lawyer. We've had zero problems with any transfers to Trusts created by software like Willmaker. Just FYI.

Mark"

Last edited:
A trust does not avoid a background check.

I didn't mean it to sound like no background check was being done, that would be ridiculous. Only that you don't have to go down and get finger printed, ect… then have it all signed off on by the Chief.

The trust route is just easier and less involved. That was my point.

Backed by malpractice insurance?

the worst that happens is that you go into problem status and fix your error, what does malpractice insurance have to do with that.

Also changes for free? I mean this is a ****ing revocable trust, type the damn items into your schedule A, its free to type still right? Sorry a Lawyer sold you on some fake mystical BS

But hey I paid Doug King to print me out a Quicken Will maker document so I got ripped too.

the worst that happens is that you go into problem status and fix your error, what does malpractice insurance have to do with that.

Also changes for free? I mean this is a ****ing revocable trust, type the damn items into your schedule A, its free to type still right? Sorry a Lawyer sold you on some fake mystical BS

But hey I paid Doug King to print me out a Quicken Will maker document so I got ripped too.

I thought that was a pretty bold claim, one which wouldn't mean **** if the ATF decided to come after you. Combine that with the government can take your guns if you dont pay us $200 to create a trust is akin to a a shister lawyer chasing ambulances. Not to mention that they operate on a $20/referral business model. Sucker born every minute,

Last edited:

I paid doug $100 for mine :doh:

Back
Top Bottom