• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone notice the Muscadines falling already

Here you go. http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/armchair_biologist/acorns/acorns.html

Now remember, in theory, less of an acorn crop should have them moving MORE.
Year before last when the ground was covered at my place, there was notably less sightings.
Yep,
During the heavy years, or any year pretty much, we try to find the first trees getting hit by the squirrels and we hunt them first. They are up in the top of them cutting acorns before they ever begin to drop. They give me an idea of which tree/s will be the sweet trees before the deer are ever in there feeding on them.

Yep already on the ground in South Fulton
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160820_c3d8fae9bfbe0f2d6f7f381c1ede20e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have very few muscadines at my place in Hancock County. The few that are there are just turning purple. Sadly, my Super Sawtooth Oaks, that are always heavy with nuts, did not produce this year. First time in five years. I can only attribute it to the drought that we have been in.

Went and checked a few of my cameras and seen a lot of muscadines already on the ground and some already ate/chewed on the ground. I'm guessing the 1 mere day of rain in June and very limited amount in July is the cause? At this rate, at least you can narrow it down to Acorns and natural foliage to bow hunt.
My vineyard is looooooooaaaaaadeeeeeddddd. Clumps the size of a Nerf football, and a grapes as large as quarter. Pulled 10gal. in 45 min. Monday.

I don't get to hunt anymore but this thread makes me reminisce , good times.

Mom and Dad had muscadine and scuppernongs on their place and a persimmon tree that dropped sweet ripe fruit in the fall.

Not to hijack but guys and gals take the young ones hunting as often as you can some of my fondest memories are of hunting with Dad. Now I treasure the memories.

I've had a lot to drop so far, but there's more green one's sprouting on the vines replacing them. All in all I'd say my vines aren't producing good this year. We've had a bad year for rain.

Back
Top Bottom