Anyone represent yourself Pro Se in court? (Divorce)

I kept it friendly and on good terms. We came to our own agreement and then we hired a lawyer together to write up the papers and represent us both. It went smoothly and cheap. We are still on good terms. No need to get nasty in these things.
I wish it were friendly. I've asked and asked to talk and come to an agreement.

Where we are now the lawyers have lied and screwed it all up.

I've wanted mediation for so long and that's been canceled and delayed.

There are some signs of resolution coming soon. The kids need it badly! We all need it badly. Lawyers have done so much damage in this!

I don't recommend litigation without a trial lawyer, and in this case one whose main practice area is divorce / family law.

If a married couple are going to get divorced and both WANT to try to do it themselves, the best thing to do is hire a divorce / family law attorney (or retired one) as a MEDIATOR, not as an advocate for any one party. That lawyer can guide them through the process and point out how the legal system would handle any disagreements or disputes, if the parties can't come to a written agreement how to to handle everything.

When it comes to an impasse in the negotiations, I think that every time the parties deadlock in disagreement, each one of them should be required to produce a $50 bill. The lawyer / mediator will then burn both of the bills in front of the clients, with a cigarette lighter and a cast iron frying pan (to protect the desk). The mediator should then tell them to either work it out by the next appointment, or they should expect to bring $100 bills and we'll repeat the process until somebody compromises.
If they want that dispute to go to arbitration, then they can each bring $300 to pay for it, and a neutral arbitrator (also a retired family law attorney) can break the impasse and "rule" for one side or the other.

Back
Top Bottom