• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone ride a dual sport/super moto?

36fatfriends

Default rank <2500 posts
I Will Cut You
62   0
Reaction score
If so, is it your only bike? Would you ever only have that or would you/do you ride other stuff for the speed fix? Either way what do you have and how do you like it? Do any trail riding or just stick to streets? Will it make me actually become a holligan?

I'm currently on an SV1000 and love it. I have several friends who have switched it up to the DS/adventure bikes and I'm getting interested. Two bikes isn't really in my financial means right now as I'm buying a house in the next 6 months. If I did something like a DRZ400SM woulda be bored with it?

DR-Z400SM is a high theft bike. I owned one from summer of 08 to spring of 09 when it was stolen out of my driveway. It was recovered about 6 months later in the bed of a truck on Old Covington Highway. A member on BlokesSportBike purchased one to ride around i believe NYC. He had the bike a few months and it too was stolen. These are very popular bikes at the moment and the theft reflects this. The DR-Z is a decent bike from performance standpoint. It is made for the average Joe. Suspension could use improvement, power could use improvement, it's carbureted, and it's styling hasn't changed but overall it is very good at what it does. The bike will do approximately 90-100 mph easily which is a big consideration if you intend to ride in or around Atlanta.

After my DR-Z i also had a CRF250L and loved the bike but top speed was severly lacking and riding around on the interstate was a joke and even main highways with 55 mph speed limits was sketchy due to motorist going 65-75mph. Again this bike was underpowered and left room for improvement but unlike the DR-Z it is fuel injected and a 6 speed. I kept this bike about 5 months and sold it. Both are fine for simple off road scenarios and can handle a lot once upgraded a bit.

Ideally a Supermoto is perfect for the guy in the city who just needs transportation around the block and top speed isn't a factor. When i lived in a small town with a top speed of 45 the DR-Z was perfect. Once i moved a little further out and had the CRF it just wasn't practical. Think dual sport if you want to play on the mountains, think supermoto if you want to play in the city and buy both sets of wheels and tires if you enjoy both. The DR-Z 400S would be a great dual purpose and have an extra set of SM wheels as spares.

11051765_10152953601158300_4239401478176649052_n.jpg
11066555_10152953600028300_5339016891741289497_n.jpg
11112850_10152953600283300_1565757693922178071_n.jpg

For the record if you are on an SV1000 and can swing it you may be more interested in a KTM 525 and regular oil changes.
How regular we talkin? Also I'm only 5'8" so is that even a possibility? I've sat on my friends XR650 and... Well... Let's just say i was screwed if I wasn't moving.

LOL sorry napping on the job today.

So I converted my husqvarna 501s to supermoto trim with a few other upgrades. Is arguably one of the best dirt bikes you can buy, loads of power, fuel injected, and 6 speed. Its basically what I wanted the drz400sm to be, but of course about 5k more expensive when done. Its a wicked fun bike to ride on city trips or short jaunts.

Heres my take owing multiple bikes, dont make the sm your only bike. I agree with what cliffb says, pretty much on the money there. Since I live more in the country, it takes me 20-30 mins to get anywhere of interest. It is not a particularly enjoyable ride to get there. The bike tends to be buzzier and you feel like your pushing it harder to maintain 70+ mph. The sv1000 is a great bike, one which i would keep and wait till you can afford to add a second bike to the stable. I thought I would be happy with just a supermoto but it does not fill my needs currently. I plan to put my dirt wheels back on the 500 and ride my street bike for the group rides and trips to work.

Thats just my two cents, owning both of them currently.

Back
Top Bottom