• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone ride a dual sport/super moto?

Obligatory pic street trim
VZM.jpg

DR-Z400SM is a high theft bike. I owned one from summer of 08 to spring of 09 when it was stolen out of my driveway. It was recovered about 6 months later in the bed of a truck on Old Covington Highway. A member on BlokesSportBike purchased one to ride around i believe NYC. He had the bike a few months and it too was stolen. These are very popular bikes at the moment and the theft reflects this. The DR-Z is a decent bike from performance standpoint. It is made for the average Joe. Suspension could use improvement, power could use improvement, it's carbureted, and it's styling hasn't changed but overall it is very good at what it does. The bike will do approximately 90-100 mph easily which is a big consideration if you intend to ride in or around Atlanta.

After my DR-Z i also had a CRF250L and loved the bike but top speed was severly lacking and riding around on the interstate was a joke and even main highways with 55 mph speed limits was sketchy due to motorist going 65-75mph. Again this bike was underpowered and left room for improvement but unlike the DR-Z it is fuel injected and a 6 speed. I kept this bike about 5 months and sold it. Both are fine for simple off road scenarios and can handle a lot once upgraded a bit.

Ideally a Supermoto is perfect for the guy in the city who just needs transportation around the block and top speed isn't a factor. When i lived in a small town with a top speed of 45 the DR-Z was perfect. Once i moved a little further out and had the CRF it just wasn't practical. Think dual sport if you want to play on the mountains, think supermoto if you want to play in the city and buy both sets of wheels and tires if you enjoy both. The DR-Z 400S would be a great dual purpose and have an extra set of SM wheels as spares.
This is what I had in mind. I live in the city and would love to take it up to the mountains either riding or in my truck.

How regular we talkin? Also I'm only 5'8" so is that even a possibility? I've sat on my friends XR650 and... Well... Let's just say i was screwed if I wasn't moving.

KTM's are famous for oil changes. Every model. Every style. Every purpose. KTM's need oil changes regularly. I'm 5'10"-5'11" and have a 32-33" inseam and have no trouble on the DR-Z or CRF. I sat on a KTM once and didn't struggle but the KTM is a dirt bike that can be ridden on the road where as the DR-Z is a Dual Sport so the height is slightly more on the KTM.

This is what I had in mind. I live in the city and would love to take it up to the mountains either riding or in my truck.

I no longer ride my toys to the mountains. This isn't so much that they can't handle it nor that i can't handle it. If i have an accident while in the woods or in the twisties i want to know i have a safe and reliable means of transportation just down the mountain to load up and bring my bike back home. I think i made the entire trip on a bike twice before starting the process of trailering the bike up. Seriously though who doesn't enjoy taking their gear off and riding home with a/c after 8 hours in the hills?

I ride 2 totally different bikes, a Sportster and a Yamaha TW200. The TW is slow, 70mph max on flat road with a tail wind, it only has 13hp but, damn is it fun, kinda like half of a 4 wheeler in the woods, sand and mud with its fat tires and with its low seat height, 28-29'' and only 260# it gets around on city streets like bicycle.

I'm still looking for a DR650 too round out the stable, but it seems if I have some money, no deals or its, plenty of deals out there and no money.

Bikes are like guns, no singe one is good for everything, need at least 3 just cover basics like, pistol, rifle, shotgun.

I ride 2 totally different bikes, a Sportster and a Yamaha TW200. The TW is slow, 70mph max on flat road with a tail wind, it only has 13hp but, damn is it fun, kinda like half of a 4 wheeler in the woods, sand and mud with its fat tires and with its low seat height, 28-29'' and only 260# it gets around on city streets like bicycle.

I'm still looking for a DR650 too round out the stable, but it seems if I have some money, no deals or its, plenty of deals out there and no money.

Bikes are like guns, no singe one is good for everything, need at least 3 just cover basics like, pistol, rifle, shotgun.
Ain't it the truth!

I ride 3 different bikes-

(I am 6'2" and 230 lbs)

BMW K75S is my road bike, it is a 1987 model, keep the splines lubed and she runs the roads fine as a 2 up. Shortest

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab275_Granite3_bike1_zpssyni0isq.jpg

KTM 450 EXC is my dual sport bike, excels off road, ok on the road.- Tallest

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab275_Granite3_Bike2_zpsytynfmvw.jpg

KLR 250 is my farm bike, easy 10 mile ride to town and back, like riding an old easy chair. Tall

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab275_Granite3_kawasaki_klr250_2001_6_zpsohkjhj1w.jpg

The 450 and below are buzzy on the highway above 65, and neither feels real stable at high speeds.

Ride height can be adjusted, and aftermarket seats can further reduce your height.

IMO- if I could only have one bike for all things, the BMW GS 800 would be it.

It is not the best at any one thing, but is good enough at most. It is a gravel/dirt road and street/highway bike.

I will be riding my KLR around town this summer, it is just fun!

Avoiding the interstates, though, too much speed there......

Back
Top Bottom