Anyone ride a dual sport/super moto?

Lol wont wheelie he says.....
www.motorcycle_usa.com_wp_content_uploads_2016_02_17_victory_ob55ddde0206fad74cd187f21e16bb6cd.jpg

You're a terrible influence.

I've had a few bikes in the garage, over 40 and I'm only 37. Most of those have been dual sport or adventure bikes, but I've had some sportier bikes, including two SV1K's, Buells, BMW's, Triumph's, etc... I'd steer clear of the VStroms, either flavor because they're not dual sports, but adventure bikes and the same goes for the KTM twins, although they are certainly more capable than the Japanese twins in the dirt.

For a dual sport, stick with a thumper (single cylinder). You can be a hooligan and spank squids on the twisties, commute to work while getting 50+mpg, hit the dirt, or load it up and take a trip. They won't have the rush of a 3 or 4 cylinder bike, nor the torque of a twin, but you'll smile like a kid (except on a long straight when the seat makes you want to suck start a shotgun), every time you get on it because it just feels illegal.

My first dual sport was a Drz400s. I dual sported on the weekends, commuted during the weeks and even took trips to the Smokies, SC low country, and the beaches of FL. I put 13k miles on it the first year that I had it, great bike to enter the dual sport world on. I then added a DL650 to the stable for the slab and occasional dirt road (I ran TKC 80's), and it was ok but other than the riding on the interstate, it did nothing better than the DRZ. After going through other dual sport thumpers, sport bikes, other adventure bikes, and modern classics like the Triumph Scrambler that I sold last year, I picked up a XT225.

I wanted something to scratch that itch but something that I could also chase my girls around on their bikes, without being too heavy or breaking the bank. I also wanted something light and maneuverable, but still capable of making a run to the mountains on pavement and dirt. It's a fun bike, but it doesn't have the suspension that the DRZ or XR had, but similar to the DR-650's that I've had. It doesn't have the power of any of them, but it also doesn't have the weight either. It suits my needs right now, although I'd love to have a KTM single, but I don't because I wouldn't do it any justice right now.

The DRZ and the DR make the same power, just different with their delivery. The DRZ revs more where as the DR is the tractor of the two. The XR650L is the most dirt bike like of the 650's and I thoroughly liked it (would seriously consider getting another if I ventured off into the big single world again), and the KLR is more adventure bike like, with soft suspension and the heaviest of the bunch. I've had them all and the all have their +'s/-'s. I've never owned a KTM, but all of my riding buddies did or do and loved them. Yes they're more expensive but they come stock with most of the upgrades that you'd end up doing on any of the Japanese bikes.

Go sit on some and see how they feel. Most are tall, but you don't need to have both feet on the ground to safely handle one. Check out Adventure Rider (I first joined it in 2004 when i got my DRZ), ALONE. Lots of information there with each having their own sections. They even have ride reports (lots of pictures), and they don't tolerate some of the back and forth that you see on other forums. Pm me if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to help out.

I've had a few bikes in the garage, over 40 and I'm only 37. Most of those have been dual sport or adventure bikes, but I've had some sportier bikes, including two SV1K's, Buells, BMW's, Triumph's, etc... I'd steer clear of the VStroms, either flavor because they're not dual sports, but adventure bikes and the same goes for the KTM twins, although they are certainly more capable than the Japanese twins in the dirt.

For a dual sport, stick with a thumper (single cylinder). You can be a hooligan and spank squids on the twisties, commute to work while getting 50+mpg, hit the dirt, or load it up and take a trip. They won't have the rush of a 3 or 4 cylinder bike, nor the torque of a twin, but you'll smile like a kid (except on a long straight when the seat makes you want to suck start a shotgun), every time you get on it because it just feels illegal.

My first dual sport was a Drz400s. I dual sported on the weekends, commuted during the weeks and even took trips to the Smokies, SC low country, and the beaches of FL. I put 13k miles on it the first year that I had it, great bike to enter the dual sport world on. I then added a DL650 to the stable for the slab and occasional dirt road (I ran TKC 80's), and it was ok but other than the riding on the interstate, it did nothing better than the DRZ. After going through other dual sport thumpers, sport bikes, other adventure bikes, and modern classics like the Triumph Scrambler that I sold last year, I picked up a XT225.

I wanted something to scratch that itch but something that I could also chase my girls around on their bikes, without being too heavy or breaking the bank. I also wanted something light and maneuverable, but still capable of making a run to the mountains on pavement and dirt. It's a fun bike, but it doesn't have the suspension that the DRZ or XR had, but similar to the DR-650's that I've had. It doesn't have the power of any of them, but it also doesn't have the weight either. It suits my needs right now, although I'd love to have a KTM single, but I don't because I wouldn't do it any justice right now.

The DRZ and the DR make the same power, just different with their delivery. The DRZ revs more where as the DR is the tractor of the two. The XR650L is the most dirt bike like of the 650's and I thoroughly liked it (would seriously consider getting another if I ventured off into the big single world again), and the KLR is more adventure bike like, with soft suspension and the heaviest of the bunch. I've had them all and the all have their +'s/-'s. I've never owned a KTM, but all of my riding buddies did or do and loved them. Yes they're more expensive but they come stock with most of the upgrades that you'd end up doing on any of the Japanese bikes.

Go sit on some and see how they feel. Most are tall, but you don't need to have both feet on the ground to safely handle one. Check out Adventure Rider (I first joined it in 2004 when i got my DRZ), ALONE. Lots of information there with each having their own sections. They even have ride reports (lots of pictures), and they don't tolerate some of the back and forth that you see on other forums. Pm me if you have any specific questions and I'll try my best to help out.

Rode the CRF250L to Autozone while i was working on my truck one day and the guy at the counter asked if i was scared of getting caught riding it on the street.

Great info!

Back
Top Bottom