• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 15 light options for under $100???

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
Hey all. I want to add a light on my free float rail on my AR 15 so I can protect the house at night. I want something that will shine bright (200+ lumens?), be rated for firearms/recoil but not cost over $100 dollars, including mount. Advice wanted.

I went to TruPrep in Marietta and was shown these lights:

http://truprep.com/store/fenix-tk15.html

and:

http://truprep.com/store/fenix-tk11.html

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? Does anyone have a better recommendation? Thanks.

Good lights but I'm not sure they will hold up to recoil, they might but I can't be sure. Easiest way is buy a tlr1 and put it on the rail. It's not 200 lumens but plenty bright enough for most things.

Last edited:
120 lumen rayovac led from home depot..14 bucks. Scrap scope ring from bottom of tool box...free. 600 rounds and counting...still works perfect. There is no such thing as firearm rating for a light. The lights are that expensive because they can be...and you're buying the name. Leds are leds. They do nothing different and are not made any differently. My 15 Buck solution will last just as long as that $100 one....longer actually...the rayovac light is lifetime warranty.

120 lumen rayovac led from home depot..14 bucks. Scrap scope ring from bottom of tool box...free. 600 rounds and counting...still works perfect. There is no such thing as firearm rating for a light. The lights are that expensive because they can be...and you're buying the name. Leds are leds. They do nothing different and are not made any differently. My 15 Buck solution will last just as long as that $100 one....longer actually...the rayovac light is lifetime warranty.

Amen. These are great lights.

1354666582_0.jpg

Note the $15 S&W mounted with a scope ring. Flawless... .....

I agree with this to a point, I've had several cheap lights fail after a couple hundred rounds and I've had some that have held up great. Either way once you get a light put a few hundred rounds through the gun to make sure it won't break after firing.

Also the streamlight polytac LED is a great light for about 40 bucks.

Last edited:
I have had a Fenix LD-20 for a couple of years now, 180 lumens but it's not mounted on anything. I have however dropped it on concrete and pavement on many occasions with no ill effects. In my opinion Fenix lights are every bit as tough as a Surefire. I have several Surefire lights too but the Fenix is the one I always have with me. That being said, I also have a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on a Glock19 and at 135 lumens it's a great weapon light for about $100 and you don't have to buy a mount seperately.

Last edited:
I agree with this to a point, I've had several cheap lights fail after a couple hundred rounds and I've had some that have held up great. Either way once you get a light put a few hundred rounds through the gun to make sure it won't break after firing.

We buy these for the guys where I work. They could break an anvil in a sandbox, yet we have yet to have one come back broken. They are idiot resistant, reliable, and tough as nails.

Back
Top Bottom