• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR 15 problems

dc5980

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I saved, did my research and purchase a Sig Sauer M400. Beautiful gun, came with a CP1 rifle scope. Yesterday I sighted it in with a friend for the first time. He is active military and has a bushmaster with a 3x9x42 scope. I was able to shoot tighter groups then him at 100 yards, but after 30 rounds I started to have feed problems. I started shooting with the stock magazine and cheap wolf ammo no problem for 30 rounds. We would both shoot 3 rounds then check the target. I switched to my pmags, both 30 round and 10 round magazines and my expensive hunting ammo. The problem did not change. After firing the next round would not cycle into the chamber. After every shot I had to cock the gun to fire again. I plan on cleaning it today, but it was clean yesterday. Any suggestion?

I've heard some people talk about breaking an AR in... I still have less than 500rds through mine and the only time I ran into the problems you're talking about is when my rifle was dirty or I tried to shoot reloads from the range. Dont bother with shootong reloads, at least get some decent new ammo.

Sounds like the chamber got dirty. Mine will do this with steel-cased ammo (Wolf) after a long period of shooting. The steel cases don't seal as well as brass, allowing carbon to blow back into chamber area. I take a .223 chamber brush and use some solvent to thoroughly clean the chamber after each range session. Both of my ARs got much better after 400-500 rounds. I typically fire upwards of 200+ rounds at a range session without problems. Would probably go much longer, but I'm usually done after 10 boxes or so.

Did you clean and oil it before you shot it or did you shoot it dry?

When shooting steel it doesn't fully expand and carbon is allowed back in the chamber, Brass expands and seals the chamber and debris does not make it back in. So if you shot steel and the powder built up in the chamber and then went to brass then the brass is expanding in a chamber tightened by carbon and the seal is too tight.

Need better explanation of your mis-feed to really diagnose, I've never had a break in period.

Was the round ejecting after firing? Was the next round jammed nose up missing the barrel or was it never leaving the mag?

Back
Top Bottom