• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR-15 twist rate

sutton

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up a used AR off here this weekend and I am trying to determine the twist rate. The old owner said it was a 1:8 but he wasn't too sure. Is their any way I can determine the twist rate? I read to use a cleaning rod with a twisting handle but I don't have one that has a twisting handle. Thanks

Hey guys, I picked up a used AR off here this weekend and I am trying to determine the twist rate. The old owner said it was a 1:8 but he wasn't too sure. Is their any way I can determine the twist rate? I read to use a cleaning rod with a twisting handle but I don't have one that has a twisting handle. Thanks

You either read it on the barrel, or measure it with a cleaning rod that rotates. If you don't have one, buy a good one......you need it anyways.

Spend a hundred and a few odd dollars and get a Bergara barrel and replace it. Chances are it's an odd ball anyway. Bergara barrels aren't expensive but they are good and accurate. They keep their line of barrels down to reasonable prices. However, they make barrels for some of the bigest names in the AR business. Not just good barrels great barrels with accuracy guarantee. I mean they make barrels for AR companies you wouldn't believe. They go the extra mile making their barrels like checking the rockwell at both ends of the barrel. Most AR manufactures don't do that. They are small and the barrels are made one at a time and meticulously checked and finished. Then you will have a good shooter to claim. You might want to replace just the bolt not the whole carrier just the bolt so they can wear in together. They are here in GA. so you should get fast.

Back
Top Bottom