• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR in 7.62x39, anyone out there have/had one? Impressions?

Bama21

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
Just checking, but does anyone out there have any experience with an AR in 7.62x39? I am considering one as a hunting platform and was just curious if anyone out there has any personal experience with the platform. I have heard mixed things. Thanks yall. Be safe.

I have a SOTA with Poly lower. I hand load .308 instead of .311 and I love it. About 2" groups at 100 yards and i have not dialed in the ammo. Light recoil. i'm very happy with mine. Pretty much the same as a 30/30 with better ballistics. Go For It...

The SOTA 7.62x39 worked well for me; running with ASC mags; put a bunch of Tula through it with no problems.

I haven't done any long range with it yet, but she groups tight at 75yds with irons

I picked one up the other day, Colt factory built upper on a Sendra lower. Appears to be a decent weapon, but only testing and time will tell. Thx for all the info yall.

Last edited:
I've had a 7.62x39 DPMS rifle for years (pre-ban) and have shot a lot of ammo down the range. It is my favorite deer hunting weapon and have killed a lot of them with it. I hunt with Wolf 123gr HP, and a Bushnell 3x9x40 on the carry handle. Like everyone says, mags are the weak point. I hunt with a couple of true Colt 5 round mags with the 7.62x39 follower (has white dot on it). The high cap mags can be a PITA at times to use. The biggest jam issues that I have are when the HP ammo hits the center lug and jams/tip deforms. FMJ's do much better, but I bought a lot of the HP years ago.

One thing to remember is the weapon will be heavier than the 5.56's due to the heavier barrel. Recoil is a little more; but mine doesn't knock the scope off the target.

Back
Top Bottom