• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR in 7.62x39, anyone out there have/had one? Impressions?

So you are saying that the accuracy failings of the AK are because of the 7.62x39 round and not because of the design of the weapon?

^^^This. I have found that the 7.62x39 is a very accurate round. The standard AK platform is what gives that round a bad rap. The 2 main problems are the distance between front and rear site and barrel length.
Put a cheap optic on a standard, crude SKS and you will see surprisingly tight groups at 100 yrds.

I have a 7.62 x 39 AR. I find it very accurate. Two things. First, get a firing pin system that strikes hard and heavy so you can easily shoot surplus ammo. Secondly, I have found that C Products magazines work great.

Last edited:
I have a 7.62x39 Arsenal SLR-95 with a decent 3-9x for years (although it is not an AR) and have never had any problems with it. With that being said, Slr's tend to have a good rep within the AK family.
I think the only true downfall of the caliber has already been stated - the mag issues.
Good luck!

we built a turk mauser into a custom 7.62X39 and then developed hand loads for it.

shoots just fine and kills deer just fine.

nothing inherantly bad about the round at all

The ASC mags were the only ones that ran worth a crap for me in my 5.45 AR. If mags were more available id pick up a 7.62x39 Ar. The options are just not there.

David (CCF) has them most of the time or can get the ASC mags i've gotten several from him and there are several more places that handle them--anywhere from 15-17 $---

I have done some research and had a lengthy conversation with a trusted gunsimith and these are my findings thus far: 1. I need to replace the firing pin for the aforementioned reasons 2. The hammer spring needs to be taken up a notch in power 3. ASC magazines seem to be the order of the day as well. I fired several surplus rounds through it and they all had deep primer strikes, but only about half of them actually fired. Granted I have not implemented any of the changes that I listed. I am battling myself at the moment becasue I have 2 ARs that are suitable for deer hunting, the Colt 7.62 x 39 and a NIB Bushmaster 6.8 SPC. The 7.62 is not 100% reliable as of yet and the 6.8 SPC is well suited for my pupose, but the ammo is outrageous! I am gonna get the 7.62 up and running and then make the choice as to which one will get the nod. Again, I appreciate all of the input.

I have a 7.62 x 39 AR. I find it very accurate. Two things. First, get a firing pin system that strikes hard and heavy so you can easily shoot surplus ammo. Secondly, I have found that C Products magazines work great.

The problem with the 7.62x39 cheap ammo is the thick primer--when using in a AR platform your using a AR firing pin-2 options 1 is you can order a heavy hammer spring- (might work pretty good) see problems down the line
2 MGI makes a bolt and firing pin set that has a longer point on the pin to strike deeper into the primer (best solution)

The problem with the 7.62x39 cheap ammo is the thick primer--when using in a AR platform your using a AR firing pin-2 options 1 is you can order a heavy hammer spring- (might work pretty good) see problems down the line
2 MGI makes a bolt and firing pin set that has a longer point on the pin to strike deeper into the primer (best solution)

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. I am going to take it to a gunsmith and work with him to tune it up. He's a full time smith for a living, but also a friend. I'll post how it turns out when I'm done. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom