AR Pistol built on virgin lower illegal?

Make sure when you buy a new lower they mark "Other" rather than "Long gun" or "Pistol". Then it's anything you want it to be. If it is EVER transferred as a Long gun, it can not be converted to a pistol legally. For the same reason, never convert a 10/22 to a charger.

**UPDATE**

So I went to my local gun shop and they just tol me the same thing as the smith and even defended the guy! WTF man??!

According to the ATF letter 2011-4 I should be in the clear no?

For those that are curious it was Martin's Coins & Firearms in Alpharetta

I get that. When I lived in Valdosta, I had the LGS tell me it was illegal for me ship any firearm myself, that I always had to go through an FFL.

My local Fedex and UPS hubs are the same way....then I realized that it saves time to just bring in the box sealed and ready to ship, with postage already affixed....they didn't ask a single question when I sent my lower off for engraving this way.

OP, if the virgin lower was marked 'other' on the 4473, you're good to go. There are a lot of very misinformed people out there, including GS employees.

Is there a way to check after the fact how the lower was transferred. Pistol, long arm or other? I've bought stripped lowers to build rifles so I've never paid attention to that.

Is there a way to check after the fact how the lower was transferred. Pistol, long arm or other? I've bought stripped lowers to build rifles so I've never paid attention to that.

If you could talk the seller and the original FFL that did the transfer into it, they should have a copy...

Back
Top Bottom