AR Pistol built on virgin lower illegal?

Foxhole in gainesville told me that a "other" receiver could not legally be built into a pistol and referred me to their attorney who specializes in firearms.. but I realize many attorneys are arrogant and make plenty of dumb mistakes as anyone else so I scoffed it off.

I believe you're wrong about the "rifle first" rule always standing, example:

Sam buys a colt 6920 lower from a individual on gunbroker and Sam has it shipped to his local FFL dealer ABC guns. Later, Sam swings by ABC guns, fills out the 4473 and ABC checks "other" on the form. Sam goes home and builds a pistol with the colt lower while legally standing behind the last 4473 filled out on that colt other lower, Right?

The thing that bothers me here, is that the ATF doesnt have any new documents on their website pointing to what this lawyer is saying. If I'm not looking in the right place can someone please point me in the right direction?

Also, is it worth the hassle or should I just sell my lower and buy a marked pistol lower from Aero precision and call it a day? :confused:

YOU are right. Not the gun store(s), not the lawyer.

If it has NEVER had a stock on it, it can be whatever you want it to be. The ATF has said such many times, and that is why the newest version of the 4473 has the "other" category. Build it up how you want, and ignore the ignoramuses (ignorani?).

YOU are right. Not the gun store(s), not the lawyer.

If it has NEVER had a stock on it, it can be whatever you want it to be. The ATF has said such many times, and that is why the newest version of the 4473 has the "other" category. Build it up how you want, and ignore the ignoramuses (ignorani?).

Ok. This coming from reputable Class 3 Dealer adds much comfort. Thank you!

I found this.

"Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA has been made."

And

"Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a “pistol” because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand."

Ok. This coming from reputable Class 3 Dealer adds much comfort. Thank you!
You got your answer now go to one of the reputable companies on here..... Its worth the drive to any of these guys to get your firearm in tip top shape....Any of these guys Quiet Riot, dobbs, ott gun works they can either help you or tell you where it can be done right the first time. Its obvious that the guy in Alpharetta: A: got bad legal advice B. Doesn't want the work C. is 100% correct or D. wants to sell you his gun and scoffs at such a build other than what he sells... Good luck happy weekend....

You got your answer now go to one of the reputable companies on here..... Its worth the drive to any of these guys to get your firearm in tip top shape....Any of these guys Quiet Riot, dobbs, ott gun works they can either help you or tell you where it can be done right the first time. Its obvious that the guy in Alpharetta: A: got bad legal advice B. Doesn't want the work C. is 100% correct or D. wants to sell you his gun and scoffs at such a build other than what he sells... Good luck happy weekend....

I already fixed my issue by just trading the upper, but i will definitely consider the options listed next time I need work done. Thank you! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom