AR Pistol built on virgin lower illegal?

with no gun registry without a ton of leg work how are they able to find out how the lower was transferred?

Shops are required to keep the 4473 for a period of time I believe....It would be a massive pain in the rear and much easier to just buy a new lower, but it is possible...

Shops are required to keep the 4473 for a period of time I believe....It would be a massive pain in the rear and much easier to just buy a new lower, but it is possible...

They keep it until they are no longer in business, then they turn over their records to the ATF

**UPDATE**

So I went to my local gun shop and they just tol me the same thing as the smith and even defended the guy! WTF man??!

According to the ATF letter 2011-4 I should be in the clear no?

For those that are curious it was Martin's Coins & Firearms in Alpharetta

Shocked by this, Martin is a sharp guy and knows guns... who did you talk too at Martin's?

For those that are curious it was Martin's Coins & Firearms in Alpharetta

That's the same shop that I hear on the radio "specializing in tactical firearms, short barrel rifles/shotguns, and suppressors". Sounds like they're either not specializing, or hope they can fear you into buying a SBR.

Foxhole in gainesville told me that a "other" receiver could not legally be built into a pistol and referred me to their attorney who specializes in firearms.. but I realize many attorneys are arrogant and make plenty of dumb mistakes as anyone else so I scoffed it off.

I believe you're wrong about the "rifle first" rule always standing, example:

Sam buys a colt 6920 lower from a individual on gunbroker and Sam has it shipped to his local FFL dealer ABC guns. Later, Sam swings by ABC guns, fills out the 4473 and ABC checks "other" on the form. Sam goes home and builds a pistol with the colt lower while legally standing behind the last 4473 filled out on that colt other lower, Right?

ATF would be able to backtrace it from Colt, I'd imagine they'd use whatever colt originally sold it as.

Back
Top Bottom