• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR10 build questions and thoughts

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Well Looks like I bit the bullet and bought my son and I 2 AR10 lowers. I am looking into calibers and styles. Trying to decide what I'd like to go with. Really thinking abut going standard with a 308 for price and ease of locating ammo. My son wants to go with a 243 cause he just loves the caliber. This will see some range time at 200-400 yards, some hunting time but no tactical or personal defense type shooting. Not looking to break the bank to build and looking for some ideas on uppers and upper assemblies out there. Most all I have used is Aero on my 15's. Don't have any issues with them and don't mind going back to them. Just wanted to see what some of you who run home built 10's are using.

Also based on what my intentions are for this gun I am thinking of a 20-24" barrel. I do want to use my suppressor so it will need to be threaded. But would you go with a bull, medium or thin barrel? Weight is not going to be an issue.

What are your guys pros and cons on what I am looking to do. 6.5 CM has crossed my mind, but for short range shooting I don't see the reason to pay more for a the ammo.

Looking to keep each build after my purchase cost of the lower in the $1000 range. Where do you guys recommend buying these parts from?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

@AJH_27

For what you want to do, I’d go with an 18”-20” in .308”, and a 20”-22” in 6.5CM.......you could go even shorter and still be fine. A good 16” .308 will go to 1,000yds; as will an 18” 6.5CM. Just make sure your can is rated for those calibers on a barrel that short.

For what you want to do, I’d go with an 18”-20” in .308”, and a 20”-22” in 6.5CM.......you could go even shorter and still be fine. A good 16” .308 will go to 1,000yds; as will an 18” 6.5CM. Just make sure your can is rated for those calibers on a barrel that short.

suggestions on brand assemblies or parts?

Noreen uses a DPMS-pattern receiver, so make sure that whatever you buy is DPMS-pattern.

With AR10’s, I usually recommend to buy the receivers from the same manufacturer/vendor to ensure that they mate up, match, and work together. Actually, I recommend that folks buy them as a matched set, but since that isn’t possible, I recommend you buy your uppers from Noreen.

Noreen offers forged and billet .308 receivers. If your lowers are billet, buy Noreen billet uppers; if they’re forged, buy Noreen forged uppers.

What cmshoot cmshoot said x100. AR10s can be part picky when it comes to matching uppers, lowers, and hand guards. The more parts that match, the better. Thats not to say it gun wont function, you might not be able to get the gun together. I'm pretty rusty on the nomenclature, but I think there are DPMS high and low pattern, and Armalite pattern receivers. The lower has to match the pattern as does the hand guard. Ballistic Advantage makes a good barrel.

Well Looks like I bit the bullet and bought my son and I 2 AR10 lowers. I am looking into calibers and styles. Trying to decide what I'd like to go with. Really thinking abut going standard with a 308 for price and ease of locating ammo. My son wants to go with a 243 cause he just loves the caliber. This will see some range time at 200-400 yards, some hunting time but no tactical or personal defense type shooting. Not looking to break the bank to build and looking for some ideas on uppers and upper assemblies out there. Most all I have used is Aero on my 15's. Dont have any issues with them and dont mind going back to them. Just wanted to see what some of you who run home built 10's are using. Also based on what my intentions are for this gun I am thinking of a 20-24" barrel. I do want to use my suppressor so it will need to be threaded. But would you go with a bull, medium or thin barrel? Weight is not going to be an issue. What are your guys pros and cons on what I am looking to do. 6.5 Creedmore has crossed my mind, but for short range shooting I dont see the reason to pay more for a the ammo. Looking to keep each build after my purchase cost of the lower in the $1000 range. Where do you guys recommend buying these parts from?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

@AJH_27
Paragraphs! Bank line between thoughts! Readability!

Back
Top Bottom