• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Argue for Mandated Training So As To Exercise a Basic Civil Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who carries a handgun in a defensive manner should obtain at least "basic" handgun safety. Why? Because if you are in the same building as my family and decide to approach a possible threat, I don't want my son or wife or daughter to be an accidental victim because you have learned at least the basics. There are too many people carrying guns that have no clue what they are carrying around.

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who carries a handgun in a defensive manner should obtain at least "basic" handgun safety. Why? Because if you are in the same building as my family and decide to approach a possible threat, I don't want my son or wife or daughter to be an accidental victim because you have learned at least the basics. There are too many people carrying guns that have no clue what they are carrying around.

Should is the most important word in this post. If it was "must" I would disagree.

Should and Shall, world of difference in law. Yes, everyone should.

I think training is a great thing.... I like to know that people I spend time with that carry are training, practicing, thinking, and learning on a regular basis.. more than once a month. That makes me feel comfortable. That is more than we require of police officers. Requiring it of every gun owner is another matter entirely. I don't think a 4 hour class 8 months or 8 years ago or from basic training in 1988 will help much when the situation gets interesting today at the grocery store. What will help is regular practice and education.

Would more training prevent a retired cop from shooting a guy over a popcorn/texting disagreement? Does anyone believe this was a training issue? When I look at the news... seldom, very seldom, is it a training issue.

This should be something easily researched.. don't we have some states with required training and some without? Why hasn't the 'we need training' crowd pummeled us with those statistics? Do they exist? Or is it just another feel good policy?

Last edited:

While I partially agree with you in principle, I’ll also disagree. I’ll agree that I personally feel that anybody handling any Weapon should have instruction. I’ll disagree and say that Our Freedom’s/Right’s should not be Legislated. Just like you have the Right to think the way you do, but I also have the Freedom/Right to think the way I do. Show me or prove to me where there have been a great number instances of anybody being hurt by Legally Concealed Carrying citizens. Have there been a FEW, yes, accidents will happen and No Law is going to Prevent that. You stand a much higher chance of being killed by somebody Drinking, Drugged, Speeding, TEXTING, or otherwise distracted while driving then you do of EVER being injured by anybody that’s permitted carrying a Gun. Fact is, a great number of people here that are Legally Permitted to Carry, drive like this now. And that’s Comparing a Privilege that is Heavily Regulated to a Freedom/RIGHT. Show me 1, just 1, simple shred of evidence that shows there is some epidemic of innocent people being injured by Law abiding Citizens Concealed Carrying weapons. Do you have Criminals yes, they will always have weapons be it guns, knives, baseball bats, forks, spoons etc. ................the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited:
Then why not let anyone drive a vehicle without getting training? Negligence with vehicles kill more people per year than negligence with firearms. I think it's because you see driving as a privilege and operating a firearm as a "right". Westboro Baptist picketing the funerals of dead soldiers is also a "right". I've said it many times, having a right doesn't just make it right.

Then why not let anyone drive a vehicle without getting training? Negligence with vehicles kill more people per year than negligence with firearms. I think it's because you see driving as a privilege and operating a firearm as a "right". Westboro Baptist picketing the funerals of dead soldiers is also a "right". I've said it many times, having a right doesn't just make it right.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. You are correct. Training for free speech would be prudent but if it were mandatory we'd be China.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom