• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Argue for Mandated Training So As To Exercise a Basic Civil Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
So would you like to see the age raised? To what? Perhaps training if you are under a certain age? At what age would you not have to have training? A maturity test, perhaps?

No I would not like to see the age raised. I believe that training regardless of age would be a good idea for someone who has not been raised around firearms like many gun owners were. It's not about how old someone is but what experience they have. Take driving for an example. The legal age to get a license is 16. A written and behind the wheel test as well as time behind the wheel under supervision is required to obtain the license. I don't have to quote some statistic to show that teen drivers are more at risk of wreaking than older more experienced drivers.

"Professional' training, none. But I have enough common sense and respect for firearms to not do something stupid or reckless. If I had to take a safety course back when I was applying for my carry license, I wouldn't have opposed it.

So you have taken no training or safety course, but you expect others to do it so they can exercise their Constitutional Right... Nice.

No I would not like to see the age raised. I believe that training regardless of age would be a good idea for someone who has not been raised around firearms like many gun owners were. It's not about how old someone is but what experience they have. Take driving for an example. The legal age to get a license is 16. A written and behind the wheel test as well as time behind the wheel under supervision is required to obtain the license. I don't have to quote some statistic to show that teen drivers are more at risk of wreaking than older more experienced drivers.

You do, however, need to produce a statistic that shows that states with training requirements are significantly safer than states without.

Then we can show you the statistics that show that each further obstacle to obtaining a permit drives down participation...extra fees, weird requirements for "may issue" states, and yes, expensive and inconvenient training requirements.

So you don't mind idiots having and carrying guns? Just look at all the stories of "incidents" at gun ranges that ODT members have shared. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/577392-What-stupidity-have-you-seen-at-the-shooting-range Any one of those stories could have ended with someone hurt or killed because of idiots not having a clue.

Great, now as I said...show us some statistics which indicate that this happens more in Georgia than states with training requirements.

So correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't a training requirement for school carry introduced as part of the bill last year?

It was added late in the day for "students", ajorned to return after discussion with the students, the students accepted if it was the only way and forced to "compromise", return next day and rules were changed to mandated training for "everyone".

That killed the bill with support from Cagle, who released a senator early inappropriately insuring no further action could be taken. The senator released "the runner" had ties and financial contracts Georgia Board of Regents/College campuses. It benefited the school system for him to leave as his vote could have allowed the bill to survive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we spent a lot of time watching this fiasco evolve. Rumors that Cagle had the NRA's interest at heart as well since mandated training benefits the NRA, a rumor I sincerely hope is false. A rumor that could be used by anti-gun groups to discredit the NRA so I'll need more proof than speculation and rumor.

It was added late in the day for "students", ajorned to return after discussion with the students, the students accepted if it was the only way and forced to "compromise", return next day and rules were changed to mandated training for "everyone".

That killed the bill with support from Cagle, who released a senator early inappropriately insuring no further action could be taken. The senator released "the runner" had ties and financial contracts Georgia Board of Regents/College campuses. It benefited the school system for him to leave as his vote could have allowed the bill to survive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we spent a lot of time watching this fiasco evolve. Rumors that Cagle had the NRA's interest at heart as well since mandated training benefits the NRA, a rumor I sincerely hope is false. A rumor that could be used by anti-gun groups to discredit the NRA so I'll need more proof than speculation and rumor.

Yes that was my idiot Senator, Staton. And I believe that both the students as well as GCO supported the training for students only.

So you don't mind idiots having and carrying guns? Just look at all the stories of "incidents" at gun ranges that ODT members have shared. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/577392-What-stupidity-have-you-seen-at-the-shooting-range Any one of those stories could have ended with someone hurt or killed because of idiots not having a clue.
Could you spell out the extra restrictions on the second amendment you support for 'idiots' and then for 'non-idiots'? Be great if you could also let us know who gets to decide who the idiots are (it could be kind of important).
These threads always amaze me.... :tsk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom