• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Atlanta Police Issued ARs

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 rounds? If you're putting 2000 rounds a year through your duty weapon that you carry to protect your life with on a daily basis, you're already doing it wrong. Most cops I've met shoot almost 10x that number in a year. Never mind Noveske also doesn't allow even slightly questionable parts from the shop to go on their rifles before being shipped out. Did you also fail the 9th grade like Soviet? Or do we need to go over all of this again for other reasons, such as ignorance?

This is not anywhere near an accurate statement. In these days of budgets and furloughs most departments are lucky to provide a few hundred rounds, much less 10K.

2000 rounds? If you're putting 2000 rounds a year through your duty weapon that you carry to protect your life with on a daily basis, you're already doing it wrong. Most cops I've met shoot almost 10x that number in a year. Never mind Noveske also doesn't allow even slightly questionable parts from the shop to go on their rifles before being shipped out. Did you also fail the 9th grade like Soviet? Or do we need to go over all of this again for other reasons, such as ignorance?

Are you friggin *****ting me? 20,000 rounds a year ? Um most departments cant handle an ammo budget like that. Hell most departments I know dont pay for any training outside of what is required and if officers want additional training they have to pay for it themselves. And I have YET to see the average duty cop have an ammo budget to cover 20k worth of ammo.

I have been to American Classic now Norcross gun club and have seen DeKalb officers in there shooting ..... I remember one day a DeKalb officer comes in ... hangs a target, runs it out to 7 yards .... and then fires a mag at the target, not rapidly, but not bullseye speed either. Brings his target in and says "I got them all in the black" ....... Sounds pretty good doesnt it ? Until you saw the target and it was an all black sillywet target .... then he says "not bad for the new Glock trigger that we just got issued in the Gen 4's". I have worked as a RSO at a couple different places ..... police officers are the last people that you see there shooting. Ever seen a SWAT team sniper shoot in a match and quit after the second stage cause he is getting shown up and cant hit the broad side of a barn? I have. Ever seen an cop show up to a match and shoot 3 mags at a texas star and quit cause he ran out of ammo? I have. Now tell me that these cops are shooting 20k a year ..... NOT gonna buy that at all.

Oh and one other thing .. what would constitute a slightly questionable part? Does a questionable part measure within the specification? Is it on the small side of spec? is it on the large side of spec? Do you know why there are such things as specs? Specs exist because exact clones of pieces are hard to make in mass quantities and at cost effective prices. EVERYTHING is this world is made within a tolerance ... some companies have tighter tolerances than others but there is some wiggle room within a tolerance.

taco, no I passed the 9th grade just fine thank you very much. id like to see these cops that are shooting 20000 rounds a year, the statisitics on 30% accuracy from law enforcement seem to speak to the contrary of this 20000 rounds a year of practice. You have yet to explain why a patrol officer needs a rifle built to the tolerances you speak of, instead you start typing out specs like a press release from the company.

you also havent answered what makes you such an expert, shooting alot and reading alot on the internet doesnt make you an expert. are you a police officer? or have you served in the military?

No one is saying that every officer should just go buy the cheapest rifle they can to use as a patrol rifle but as said before there are plenty of agencies issuing M&P, Colt, and Bushmasters. lets think about this for a minute. if a police department buys a bunch of M&P AR15s to issue to their officers do you think that its going to be good buisness for Smith and wesson to sell them a bunch of rifles that break down every day? no, because then when other agencies start looking for a new rifle and hear about how the first agency is having so many problems they are going to skip over S&W.
and you can say well police departments dont make the best firearms decisions, well your right to an extent but they have to look at things other than what a bunch of gun nuts on the internet think. one of the main ones is cost. cost of the weapon, cost of the magazines, cost of maintenence, and the big thing is the cost of the lawsuits if that weapon fails and the officer dies as a result and the family sues them.

so tell me again, without sounding like a mall ninja noveske fan boy, why a police officer needs a rifle that costs between 4-800 dollars more than another brand that fits the criteria a patrol rifle needs.

that criteria being resonable accuracy at <100yards and reliability. patrol officers arnt making 300 yard head shots or dragging their rifles through the jungle/woods for months or shooting corrosive ammo. so chrome lined bored are not nessesary, and neither are overly exact tolerances. if a colt can be plenty reliable and plenty accurate why buy something more expensive?

and as i also pointed out before this discusion was on APDs rifles that they have to purchase theirselves. I know ALOT of APD officers from working EMS in atlanta and the majority of them are working multiple jobs and 400 bucks is alot of spare chainge that they dont have when you have to add sights, optics, magazines, case, etc... to the cost of their patrol rifle.

And I did see the thread at arfcom where there were plenty of folks saying that their colts and bushmasters have been running just fine. did you start a thread at M4carbine and the three gun forum trying to build support for your cause because you dont get it here?

Crazy, my father owns a firearms school that gives classes every week. I don't think he personally goes through 20,000 rounds a year. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he does.

Crazy, my father owns a firearms school that gives classes every week. I don't think he personally goes through 20,000 rounds a year. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he does.

I would say its safe to say Dekalb county police go through 20,000 rounds a year. They knock um dead over there... literally. :lol:

I've been shooting for years. I've seen gas keys come unstaked in Bushmasters, I've seen locking lugs break after 300 rounds, I've seen ejectors crack on a brand new M&P upper, bolts sheering on M&P's as well. It's not about "what works good enough" when your life is on the line. Two way ranges don't allow you to take a break, go home, order new parts and come back. Novekse understands this, they have a business model built on high end quality, and it works for their niche market, being people who shoot on a weekly basis and learning the weapon, not just plinking.

This debate has been nothing more than you guys putting words in my mouth since I came in here, which is always an entertaining gesture of ignorance when you have no real basis to back up your claims with. I've backed mine up, it's proven, it's mechanics, it's science. Go do some research for yourself, go to 3gun nation, go to M4carbine.net, 2 websites home to thousands of people who have shot more in the past week than most of us do in a year.

Don't like websites? Go take a side by side comparison of the two, and maybe learn to understand things a little better. The attention to detail in which Novekse and other brands build their rifles are on an entirely different level from rifles meant to draw in new shooters. S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, all of their marketing is directed toward new and inexperienced shooters. I'm not expecting any of you to understand basic business concepts, so don't worry if it doesn't sink in.

When you look at the marketing platform Larue, LMT, Noveske and KAC all have, they're not trying to get joe shmoe who just turned 19 and getting into rifles to purchase their product. They know what experienced shooters want and need, and they give it to them in an unmatched form of quality parts and craftsmanship. If you want to really keep this thread going, we can go in circles all day.

Just because somebody told you something doesn't always mean it's true.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom