• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Average Joe AR question

When I joined ODT I was trading Rugers, S&Ws etc.. Very shortly after joining I decided that I had to try my hand at putting together an AR and since then I have sold or traded about a dozen of the carbines and pistols that I have assembled. I believe that the home builder's choice of part determines just how much someone might want that firearm, on this website.

I've heard the RRA match is nice so I imagine the Geissele isn't much difference

I think it's because I swapped 1 two-stage trigger for another. When I've put single-stage Timney triggers on bolt guns, the difference is huge in comparison. I'm pretty happy with a fairly plane Jane AR. Though I'll probably get something a little fancier eventually. I have no interest in a super tactical operator ninja rig, but I've nothing against people who need or just want one either.

OK, lots of advice. all good. BUT anybody have a parts list?

BCM complete upper with the accessories that fit u best. Geissele triggers perform well spikes lowers look the coolest spikes buffer is good break/compensator to suit ur needs BCM grips are good and the stock of ur choice. No cheats or it will rattle. I prefer AR pistol cause there’s no need for a stamp fee.

why would the average person pay $2000 for a big name AR vs $700 for a semi dressed up not so big name AR, not a home built but a factory gun. What is the difference that would warrant the cost.

Probably been asked before so I apologize to the ones that may be offended. We have a lot of new members that may want to hear the odtverse opinions.

You would have to shoot them side by side. I have 2 really nice home builds and a LWRC MOD6 all of them make you smile while your shooting them but the lwrc just feels nicer it shoots better there is less recoil and all it has is an A2 flash hider on it. During my run and gun events the LWRC is the ar I trust to take that kind of beating and mud bath and still function keeping me in the competion and finish out the 1-8 miles of running shooting and obstacles I have left.

It’s really all preference. Some of the things that make a difference in price
-Mfg. processes for receivers (billet,forged etc..)
-Barrel construction and finish (CHF, Salt nitride, chrome lining)
-materials used- (magnesium vs steel vs aluminum for weight/strength)

And a million other little factors such as the factory trigger vs upgraded, is it free floated?, what is the BCG coated in?, is it ambi?

Basically it’s all what you’re going to use it for, what you’re preferences are, and what you can afford.

My honest opinion (having owned Scar, Aug, the most and least expensive ar-15’s that you can have) is that most of us, myself included, will never really run them hard enough to notice a gigantic difference between them other than comfort and familiarity. If it’s being used as a duty weapon or for competition, go all out. If not, odds are that for plinking/range work, any old psa will do.

Back
Top Bottom