• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Average Joe AR question

mcdougmd

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
why would the average person pay $2000 for a big name AR vs $700 for a semi dressed up not so big name AR, not a home built but a factory gun. What is the difference that would warrant the cost.

Probably been asked before so I apologize to the ones that may be offended. We have a lot of new members that may want to hear the odtverse opinions.

People who pay close to $2000 are often looking for a lighter weight, flat shooting, less recoil, reliable through thousands of thousands of rounds rifle.

Anyone can over gas an AR and have a pretty reliable rifle for several thousand rounds until components start to fail. If you want a rifle that isn't over gassed and will shoot reliably for tens of thousands of rounds it will cost more than $700.

People who pay close to $2000 are often looking for a lighter weight, flat shooting, less recoil, reliable through thousands of thousands of rounds rifle.

Anyone can over gas an AR and have a pretty reliable rifle for several thousand rounds until components start to fail. If you want a rifle that isn't over gassed and will shoot reliably for tens of thousands of rounds it will cost more than $700.

This.

The average AR owner shoots 150 rounds per year. The gun ain’t getting run hot and usually not overly fouled.

A KAC runs about $2000 or a little more. I’ve found in the past that I’ve paid just over $1000 for a DD, and then put a thousand dollars worth of upgraded parts on it (trigger & stock, for starters, and a ton of little parts) - whereas basically nothing on the KAC needs to be upgraded, based on my personal preferences.

The real question is: Do you like mil-spec, or are the upgraded parts are worth it to you? I fall into the second category - to me, a mil-spec trigger, grip, stock, safety, charging handle, etc. all feel like trash.

The "one" AR that I would spend $2100 on is the Rem/Bushmaster ACR. Revamped modern technology with moderately decent components. Of course, I know the actual cost will vary somewhat. At 8lbs roughly, it is a heavy sucker though.

90704-1.jpg
90820-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom