• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Backyard black coyote video from a few hours ago...

Have you ever smelled a coyote being skinned? It is utterly disgusting. They earn that money. One time I shot a beautiful coyote and was considering having him mounted. I started calling around asking about the experience, pricing, etc of the taxidermists. Most of them told me they would knock off an extra $100 if I would skin it myself. They even told me they would show me how to do it correctly for mounting as long as they didn't have to touch it or get too close. Those things stink. I never did get him mounted. It was around $700 on average and I decided a coyote just isn't worth that much to me.
I've smelled them dead fresh shot WITHOUT skinning. Disgusting. I called a taxidermist today and she said it would be $25 more if I brought in the whole animal instead of just the pelt. I told her enthusiastically "For $25, no problem!". She laughed.

Normally coyotes that are comfortable in broad daylight in a wide open space are rabid, but obviously these yotes are not rabid. I'll bet you are not seeing as many deer around with these varmints.
I'm seeing about the normal numbers but I'm pretty sure they got their share of fawns this year as I've only seen one fawn. The main problem is my 'viewing tunnel' (for lack of a better term) through the woods is all over grown (so I couldn't see a giraffe) which is where I saw 90% of my deer anyway so I don't have a good judge of that. I guess in some regards I've seen MORE directly in my backyard than years prior.
They also are not mangey. Nothing more pitiful looking than a mangey yote in the summer time. Nope, this crew is healthy and loving life. One day, when they least expect it.... they're gonna' have a bad day. :)

I'm seeing about the normal numbers but I'm pretty sure they got their share of fawns this year as I've only seen one fawn. The main problem is my 'viewing tunnel' (for lack of a better term) through the woods is all over grown (so I couldn't see a giraffe) which is where I saw 90% of my deer anyway so I don't have a good judge of that. I guess in some regards I've seen MORE directly in my backyard than years prior.
They also are not mangey. Nothing more pitiful looking than a mangey yote in the summer time. Nope, this crew is healthy and loving life. One day, when they least expect it.... they're gonna' have a bad day. :)

My problem also, I hear them at night yelping but rarely see them due to heavy foliage. I have trail cams set up and picked up on a few. There's 7 or 8 turkeys that frequent mine and the neighbors yard (which is probably what they're after. Or maybe the new born deer, haven't seen any fawns so far this year. I may put me a blind up and take some down this year before they get to brave.

I'll bet you are not seeing as many deer around with these varmints.
Just snapped this about 10 minutes ago. The twin fawns have avoided them so far it seems. :)
i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_phil_backyf42fc76318143b02ebb9e46086965c22.jpg

Well if it fawns in the same area...IT's time to take the Yotes OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DD
Winter....
The does are doing their job, well. I made a post maybe a month ago when I saw one of them chasing a coyote. She came back strutting (which I got on my trail cam on vid and posted). Only one of those does is the mother so she's got an extra set of eyes and another nose helping her now
I want that black pelt in full winter coat....

Well saw it (black one) and buddy again this morning. I could have shot it multiple times. I was on my way out though and wouldn't have been able to be bring it straight to the taxidermist. Coat wasn't nearly as full as I had hoped. Starting to second guess any plans for that pelt... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom