• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Baiting North Ga vs South Ga

lolwut? :confused: Weren't you the one asking for some facts? I didn't "try to argue" anything. I stated some facts about why it's a bad idea and by extension why I wish it was never legal in the state. My personal preferences, ethics, whatever, have zero to do with facts.
I don't know what ever had me thinking this would go exactly like every other baiting thread. Fail on me. :laugh:

I believe you. And truly agree with some of what you said.

I don't like feeding corn. I don't like seeing big piles of corn in the woods. (Yes I find them on public land all the time also) I don't think corn is a good bait and certainly don't think corn is a good food for deer.

But there is soooo much more than corn piles that is considered baiting. That's sort of my point. As a landowner the state has removed my choices from me. And that isn't right or fair. It's a catch all law and is all encompassing.

I believe you. And truly agree with some of what you said.

I don't like feeding corn. I don't like seeing big piles of corn in the woods. (Yes I find them on public land all the time also) I don't think corn is a good bait and certainly don't think corn is a good food for deer.

But there is soooo much more than corn piles that is considered baiting. That's sort of my point. As a landowner the state has removed my choices from me. And that isn't right or fair. It's a catch all law and is all encompassing.
It's a wildlife management issue. It's not a private property issue. That is where your hang up apparently is.
You have infinitely more freedom hunting your own land. We don't need licenses, no 'special' regs like on WMAs etc. The ONLY thing that frosts my rear about restrictions on my land is "doe days"... but I'm not ranting on that anymore.

Dear God. No they did NOT. :doh: Please stop perpetuating such absurd rumors. :tsk: Coyotes are in every single state (except Hawaii) and in every county in Georgia and they didn't get introduce by DNR. :tsk: Some assuredly got introduced into the wild by those training fox hounds but they likely weren't the first ones here either. Once they crossed the Mississippi, there was no stopping them.

They absolutely did. They won't admit it now, but I saw the article back around '92. The DNR absolutely did release some in middle ga. The article even had photos.

They absolutely did. They won't admit it now, but I saw the article back around '92. The DNR absolutely did release some in middle ga.
Ok. :tsk:
Coyotes didn't appear in the 90s nor did DNR ever 'introduce' them. Not that it will matter, but .... http://www.gon.com/hunting/all-about-coyotes
I assume everyone knows GON is no lackey for DNR. (Quite the opposite).

Actually no, it's not "different". The point is a deer's diet changes in the winter changes dramatically due to deciduous browse. Supplementing it with garbage (which is what corn is for a deer) accomplishes the exact thing laid out in the article. Like all topics those that simply want the indefensible will ignore all facts. It's not healthy for them, it encourages the spread of disease and it decreases the chance of hunter success. Those are facts. But they obviously run counter to personal desires. It's fine to have a differing opinion or desire. It's not fine to pretend the realities don't exist..
The funny thing is coyotes LOVE corn (as do coons aka turkey nest raiders). It's the perfect predator ambush station and keeps the coyotes around even more. There is so much ironic about putting corn out.

I agree that dumping corn on the ground is a horrible idea but don't see well managed feeders as a problem. So you're of the opinion that any corn is bad for deer period?

Ok. :tsk:
Coyotes didn't appear in the 90s nor did DNR ever 'introduce' them. Not that it will matter, but .... http://www.gon.com/hunting/all-about-coyotes
I assume everyone knows GON is no lackey for DNR. (Quite the opposite).

Just saying what I saw.

I definitely saw the article in some kind of hunting/fishing mag back then. It did have a pic.

I don't really care whether people believe it or not. It was stupid decision then-and seems even stupider now. I would sanitize hell out of any references to it if I were them also.

(Let's not forget we are referring to state government. If you want to see how stupid they can get-I present Exhibit A:The GA DOT. That particular agency hasn't done a damn thing that made any sense in at least 30 years.)

I agree that dumping corn on the ground is a horrible idea but don't see well managed feeders as a problem. So you're of the opinion that any corn is bad for deer period?
What does "well managed" mean? Artificially concentrating deer at feed stations is a bad idea, regardless of how "healthy" the contents are.
Heck take it up with the biologists. Yes, I realize they eat corn after it is harvested. Like people, they eat lots of things if available that they shouldn't.

Just saying what I saw.

I definitely saw the article in some kind of hunting/fishing mag back then. It did have a pic.

I don't really care whether people believe it or not. It was stupid decision then-and seems even stupider now. I would sanitize hell out of any references to it if I were them also.
Ugh... ok.

What does "well managed" mean? Artificially concentrating deer at feed stations is a bad idea, regardless of how "healthy" the contents are.
Heck take it up with the biologists. Yes, I realize they eat corn after it is harvested. Like people, they eat lots of things if available that they shouldn't.
Well managed means feeders that don't over flow where young deer are eating feces covered corn, and keeping the area around the feeder clean of feces.

Well managed means feeders that don't over flow where young deer are eating feces covered corn, and keeping the area around the feeder clean of feces.
I'm unaware of anyone who even attempts such a thing. To your (perhaps) point, yes I guess it is "possible" to have supplemental feed in a broadcast feeder with great care in the concentrated area that would greatly minimize the inherent problems with otherwise unnaturally feeding and concentrating a wild deer population. (Considering how long prions live in the soil and how it's almost impossible to get rid of them once discovered, I'm not sure how feasible it is even in theory though.)

Back
Top Bottom