• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Baiting North Ga vs South Ga

I'm pretty sure the law says no hunting over bait. which means all baits. I'm aware corn isn't the most nutritional or the best feed. But the law you are arguing about doesn't make that distinction.

So is there a study that doesn't involve corn? And says the same thing about other baits?

Or are you ok with hunting over bait with the exception of no corn being used?

I may be a little confused on what you are saying.
The transference of disease is an issue with any placed grains or mast. The biological and dietary issues vary depending on which bait you choose to use obviously.
No I'm not OK with hunting over placed grains/corns/minerals, etc... but that has nothing do with any biological concerns.

I believe the biggest threat to the deer (and turkey) population is from coyotes.

The idiots at the DNR re-introduced them in the early 90s. Such a huge mistake that they now deny it, but they absolutely did reintroduce coyotes.
Dear God. No they did NOT. :doh: Please stop perpetuating such absurd rumors. :tsk: Coyotes are in every single state (except Hawaii) and in every county in Georgia and they didn't get introduce by DNR. :tsk: Some assuredly got introduced into the wild by those training fox hounds but they likely weren't the first ones here either. Once they crossed the Mississippi, there was no stopping them.

You are obviously welcomed to do your own research... or post smileys whatever helps educate you the most.
Well I would agree with the article that feeding deer a pile of corn during a winter blizzard in NY is a bad idea but that's an entirely different situation than have a few feeders on your property in GA. I know plenty of people who have tons of pics of the same healthy deer coming to thier feeder year around.

As far as smilies go.. is there not two smilies in your first post? :thumb:

Well I would agree with the article that feeding deer a pile of corn during a winter blizzard in NY is a bad idea but that's an entirely different situation than have a few feeders on your property in GA. I know plenty of people who have tons of pics of the same healthy deer coming to thier feeder year around.

As far as smilies go.. is there not two smilies in your first post? :thumb:
Actually no, it's not "different". The point is a deer's diet changes in the winter changes dramatically due to deciduous browse. Supplementing it with garbage (which is what corn is for a deer) accomplishes the exact thing laid out in the article. Like all topics those that simply want the indefensible will ignore all facts. It's not healthy for them, it encourages the spread of disease and it decreases the chance of hunter success. Those are facts. But they obviously run counter to personal desires. It's fine to have a differing opinion or desire. It's not fine to pretend the realities don't exist..
The funny thing is coyotes LOVE corn (as do coons aka turkey nest raiders). It's the perfect predator ambush station and keeps the coyotes around even more. There is so much ironic about putting corn out.

The transference of disease is an issue with any placed grains or mast. The biological and dietary issues vary depending on which bait you choose to use obviously.
No I'm not OK with hunting over placed grains/corns/minerals, etc... but that has nothing do with any biological concerns.

Now we are at the root of the issue. You tried to argue, method, bag limits, and health and welfare with some science thrown in along the way, but at the end of it all you just have your opinion. And as a landowner who cares deeply for the wildlife on it, I have mine.

Maybe the law should read "no hunting over piles of corn" (especially the cheap crap sold at Walmart)
I could support that. Lol

Now we are at the root of the issue. You tried to argue, method, bag limits, and health and welfare with some science thrown in along the way, but at the end of it all you just have your opinion. And as a landowner who cares deeply for the wildlife on it, I have mine.

Maybe the law should read "no hunting over piles of corn" (especially the cheap crap sold at Walmart)
I could support that. Lol
lolwut? :confused: Weren't you the one asking for some facts? I didn't "try to argue" anything. I stated some facts about why it's a bad idea and by extension why I wish it was never legal in the state. My personal preferences, ethics, whatever, have zero to do with facts.
I don't know what ever had me thinking this would go exactly like every other baiting thread. Fail on me. :laugh:

I didn't have an opinion either way and I don't hunt but I did learn some cool things I didn't know before so thanks Geaux.

• Baiting is bad
  • Deer can live 1 month without food
  • Their digestive systems can't handle corn and can actually kill them
  • It causes a lot of deer in one area and can spread disease
  • Coyotes eat corn

I didn't have an opinion either way and I don't hunt but I did learn some cool things I didn't know before so thanks Geaux.

• Baiting is bad
  • Deer can live 1 month without food
  • Their digestive systems can't handle corn and can actually kill them
  • It causes a lot of deer in one area and can spread disease
  • Coyotes eat corn
Well the first thing some still consider 'opinion' but I concur. :) There's one more thing you might have learned... at this stage of the game, hunters in Georgia have their minds made up. Those that want baiting will NOT have it changed by any pesky facts. ;)

I own a farm in Central GA. One thing I quickly learned about baiting is it attracts destruction (wild hogs & predators). Predators benefit greatly from feeders. They just stake out the travel trails that the game animals use to access the corn/bait. Mr Coyote says to Mr Bobcat, "meet you by the bait pile at dark 30. I do put mineral blocks out during spring and summer to hopefully help in maximizing antler growth. One thing I understand is GOD has been feeding His animals for centuries and HE doesn't all of the sudden need my help. In fact, anytime a human gets involved in GOD'S business we mess it up!

Back
Top Bottom