• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beating A Dead Horse

Is the AK more reliable than an AR dollar to dollar?

• Yes Comrade

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Sir, no, Sir

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Multi Cal. Tacos

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters
SKS seems like a pretty sweet platform also and would probably be a bit cheaper than the cheapest AR.
You know I really want to get one of those Tapco Stocks; remove the 6 pos. stock, take the barrel down to about 16.50, maybe 17in. Do a duracoat in an old school GI Green. I think that would be a sharp bug out platform.

I think the AR-15 platform is more useful for an American civilian recreational shooter who wants a "zombie / homeland defense" rifle than an AK-pattern rifle is.

That is due to better ergonomics, more accessories and upgrades to customize it (easily, no special tools or gunsmithing required), faster mag swaps, lower recoil on the .223 round, and BETTER ACCURACY.

People keep telling me about AK's that can shoot 2 m.o.a., but I've never seen one. I've fired several that are minute-of-pizza box. AR's are generally more accurate. They're easier to scope or put optics on, and they're accurate enough to use at a couple hundred yards when so equipped.

As for what specific make and model of AR, I don't know. I don't keep up on what's available on the marketplace at any given time.

All that being said, sometimes you may want something other than the ultimate urban combat weapon JUST BECAUSE some other kind of gun tickles your fancy more.
We "like" or "dislike" guns based on feelings and impressions, too. It's not just logical analysis, comparing features.

I think an SKS is a pretty good gun.

There are "paratrooper" SKS models out there that use AK magazines. They look similar to AKs, but feel more "solid" to me.

My SKS is in the standard rifle configuration. 19.5" barrel, 10-shot internal magazine (not quick detachable), simple wooden stock with its short (and handy, and fast!) length of pull from the trigger to the butt plate.

AN ALTERNATIVE VERSION OF THE SKS that I'd consider:

(1). Replace stock with telescoping or side-folding model.
(2). Replace 10 round mag with 20-round Tapco polymer mag, but it will still be a top-loading mag. Get a bunch of stripper clips and learn to use them!
(3). Have gunsmith cut barrel down to 14" and weld-on (permanently) some steel flash hider that brings the barrel length up to 16" or 17". You'll lose the front sight, and that's fine.
(4). Have gunsmith remove the rear sight and weld-on a steel scope base (Weaver).
(5). Put optic of your choice just forward of the receiver. I'd seriously consider an extra-large lensed reflex sight or red dot scope. I had one with a 50mm tube that was great on my 9mm select-fire carbine.

The modified SKS that I describe above ought to be good for home defense and militia use, but small enough to travel with in a vehicle and protect your family or group while traveling.

With a non-magnifying optic and that short barrel, I would not consider it effective for combat beyond 200 yards, but that's about 4X the effective range of any pistol or shotgun.
It may only hold 20 shots, but how likely is it that you'll need more than that in a hurry anyway?

AK FTW. They are more reliable and definitely lower maintenance. People can argue all they want about this, but I know the truth. We all know.

Lol

Nothing but the truth !

multiple-bullet-holes-7-footage-012523687_iconl.jpeg

The hole truth

P.S. Jblue, if you already own properly-functioning U.S.G.I. .30 M1 Carbines, I expect you'd get the most out of a battle rifle, not another type of carbine. Get a rifle that doesn't nearly duplicate the performance of something you already own. I would want something that can reach out 300-400 yards, which is beyond the effective range of your .30 carbines.

What do you have that's semi-auto, optics-ready, and fires a necked-down rifle cartridge that is still available in bulk, cheap, imported from the former commie countries of Europe?

Now I'm thinking that I'd want a 20" barreled AR if I were in your shoes. Give it a compact variable power scope, maybe 1.5x to 5x magnification, a 1:9 or 1:8 twist barrel, and consider it both a fighting rifle and a "squad designated marksman" type rifle, to reach out to whack targets that are out of range of your carbines, pistols, and shotguns. You could get good hits on man-sized targets at 700 yards with a 20" barreled and scoped AR in .223

P.S. Jblue, if you already own properly-functioning U.S.G.I. .30 M1 Carbines, I expect you'd get the most out of a battle rifle, not another type of carbine. Get a rifle that doesn't nearly duplicate the performance of something you already own. I would want something that can reach out 300-400 yards, which is beyond the effective range of your .30 carbines.

What do you have that's semi-auto, optics-ready, and fires a necked-down rifle cartridge that is still available in bulk, cheap, imported from the former commie countries of Europe?

Now I'm thinking that I'd want a 20" barreled AR if I were in your shoes. Give it a compact variable power scope, maybe 1.5x to 5x magnification, a 1:9 or 1:8 twist barrel, and consider it both a fighting rifle and a "squad designated marksman" type rifle, to reach out to whack targets that are out of range of your carbines, pistols, and shotguns. You could get good hits on man-sized targets at 700 yards with a 20" barreled and scoped AR in .223
With that in consideration should my barrel be the money spot for my ar? I know what parts of an AK are important. What matters on an AR?

So is it time to stock up on ammo again already?

Almost - prices are being propped up by the mad rush to buy in bulk from the snow flakes in Commiefornia. Once their FFL law kicks in the supply should go up and the prices back down...

Oh, and I vote for AR although my AK74 is a BEAST.

Ok, maybe AK...

Shoot, flip a coin!

Almost - prices are being propped up by the mad rush to buy in bulk from the snow flakes in Commiefornia. Once their FFL law kicks in the supply should go up and the prices back down...

Oh, and I vote for AR although my AK74 is a BEAST.

Ok, maybe AK...

Shoot, flip a coin!
Whoa whoa whoa we have a wild card. Lol. isn't 5.45x39 like x39 and 223 put together?

Back
Top Bottom