• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beginner loader - Getting ready to drop the charge!

Here's some comparison pics. Ultrasonic cleaned brass on the right, and wet tumbled (2 hours) with stainless media, dawn, and lemishine on the left. They are right next to each other in the same light in this pic. The ultrasonic cleaned brass is just still that dirty inside.

image.jpg

image (2).jpg

Here's some drying on a microfibre towel after a stainless media bath. The primer pockets are completely clean on about half, and the other half still has a little carbon left in there. I could probably let them run longer or figure out a way to agitate them more while rotating, but i am more than happy with the results. I did not like the idea of carbon/lead dust flying around my workspace which is mainly why I chose the wet method.

image (1).jpg

Jeez, those are a lot cleaner than mine with the walnut vibrating set up. Definitely will think about upgrading once I've successfully made some rounds.

SUGGESTION,

After using walnut, or jewelry rouge, be sure and wipe each finished cartridge off to get any film or dust off of the ammo, it can over time scratch the chamber. Does a great job cleaning.

Only a suggestion..

Enjoy reloading, its personal bubble space, and never reload when you are tired that can lead to problems.

SUGGESTION,

After using walnut, or jewelry rouge, be sure and wipe each finished cartridge off to get any film or dust off of the ammo, it can over time scratch the chamber. Does a great job cleaning.

Only a suggestion..

Enjoy reloading, its personal bubble space, and never reload when you are tired that can lead to problems.

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion! I hope to make a nice "bubble" space...right now its a bit cramped and uncomfortable but will definitely be concentrating as best I can. Maybe some Chopin in the back ground or something to drown out all other noises and my dogs.

Hey guys,

So I've been dropping the charges. Everything I read pretty much says minimum of 4.4 and maximum of 5.6gr for my 200grain lead bullets. I'm using HP38 powder.

I'm using the Lee Pro Auto Disc and I think I've found the best "hole" because I'm getting slight fluctuations in powder weight dropped. I'm averaging 4.8 and have a few that are as low as 4.6 and a few as high as 4.9gr. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Paul

Hey guys,

So I've been dropping the charges. Everything I read pretty much says minimum of 4.4 and maximum of 5.6gr for my 200grain lead bullets. I'm using HP38 powder.

I'm using the Lee Pro Auto Disc and I think I've found the best "hole" because I'm getting slight fluctuations in powder weight dropped. I'm averaging 4.8 and have a few that are as low as 4.6 and a few as high as 4.9gr. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Paul

You will get a little. The key is to keep your strokes consistent. A little pause on the down stroke to give all of the powder time to fill the case.

Thanks. Next question, I've seated and crimped. Min OAL 1.225in and max is 1.275. All of mine were in the 1.230s with a couple 1.240 and 1.241 and the lowest was 1.226 which is really close to minimum. I'm within range but just normal. Quite a bit of fluctuation but they are all within the same range. I didn't sort the brass by manufacture as I should have as there were slight differences in length and weight with the different cases. Lesson learned there. Thanks as always. Going to the range now with ten rounds that I feel the most comfortable with.

I dont think the brass is doing that. They should be consistently the same COAL unless you are continuing to move the die?
Never shorter than min for the projectile used - longer works fine on my pistol rounds but I work rifle rounds until exact. Lock that die down.
Good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks. I will pay special attention to setting the dies for the next batch. Any way to mark them for consistent set up each time? Another reason to add a turret press!

That said, I ran through my first ten rounds and had nice groups at thirty feet. Went ahead and ran through the other thirty rounds save a few that I wasn't too sure of the weight on. Went ahead and pulled those. Overall, some of the most fun I've had at the range in a long time. It was a thrill to shoot my own reloads for the first time! Thanks for everyone's help throughout the process so far, I'm sure I'll need more!

Thanks. I will pay special attention to setting the dies for the next batch. Any way to mark them for consistent set up each time? Another reason to add a turret press!

That said, I ran through my first ten rounds and had nice groups at thirty feet. Went ahead and ran through the other thirty rounds save a few that I wasn't too sure of the weight on. Went ahead and pulled those. Overall, some of the most fun I've had at the range in a long time. It was a thrill to shoot my own reloads for the first time! Thanks for everyone's help throughout the process so far, I'm sure I'll need more!

It's a great feeling isn't it? Been having fun with it too.

Anyhow, if your OAL is inconsistent, make sure your dies are not unscrewing themselves, but also make sure your primers are getting seated flush or just beyond flush. A primer that isn't fully seated will add to your OAL on the calipers.

Back
Top Bottom