Beginner Q about hog hunting

I'd use that FAL in .308 / 7.62 x 51
that you already own, if you like it and you're good with it.

If you like military rifles but you want something less powerful and maybe a little shorter than the FAL, how about picking up an SKS?
You can still get one of those for $300.
They can be hard to scope, but you should be fine with iron sights at the distances you've said you will be using this weapon (up to 75 yds.).

If you want to buy a more "conventional looking" hunting rifle, for what you're describing a lever action sounds perfect and it may fill a void in your collection.
The .30-30 is probably ideal ballistically for hogs, although personally I think I would go with the 44 magnum lever gun because they hold more rounds (9 or 10 in that tubular mag).

7.62x39 AR15 is what I plan on using if I see any at the property. I've killed many a deer with this and they fell just as dead as using my 308 or 30-06. Low recoil and cheap (steel case) ammo are a plus. Under 75 yards, it really isn't too critical on center fired calibers as shot placement always wins.

How about a used Ithaca model 37 shotgun in 20 gauge,
fitted with a set of fiber optic high visibility sights
intended for turkey hunting and deer hunting with slugs.
The 20 gauge should have plenty of killing power for hogs, but it'll be easier on your shoulder (and neck) and than a 12 gauge .

The Ithaca 37 is a bottom-load, bottom-eject design, making it fully ambidextrous.
They're not expensive. You could find a used one with a few dings in the stock and little tiny freckles of rust for maybe $300 or $400.

AR platform in .300 Blackout. Shoot the 130gr Barnes TSX or the 110gr TSX. I’ve killed several hogs and deer both, most were one shot kills. It’s light on recoil and hits the animals hard. I prefer to use a 30 caliber bullet, I want something that will open them up. I like an automatic over the bolt action or single shot due to having a follow up shot ready to go. It can get hairy down in the thick crap with a big, pissed off hog popping it’s cutters at you. I’ve already been through that a few times. I don’t want to fumble with a bolt or lever when I’m in close quarters with a pissed off, mini locomotive coming at me. Also hogs can be in big Sounders at times. You can dispatch several if you play your cards right. Figure out which pig is the alpha of the sounder, Kill it first and watch the rest of them freak out and not know where the heck to run because the leader is not there to show the way out.
If you go the .223 route, stick to a bonded or monolithic bullet. You want penetration with good, controlled expansion on pigs and deer. Some of the guys in our hunting group have killed some big pigs with a .223, shot placement is key. I am quite fond of Barnes TSX bullets-I use them in the majority of my rifles because they do their part well.
You also mentioned using your .308....can’t go wrong with that one either.

This

cdn3_www.dogtime.com_assets_uploads_2011_01_file_23012_beagle.jpg

and this.
View attachment 1461084
Perhaps this:

dogo.hog.jpg

And this:

bowie.jpg

Hogs are hard to kill. If you use any low caliber bullet you will need to place a head or neck shot or it will just run till it bleeds out. Shot one low with my 6.5mm grendel hunting at Owen Farm Hunting Preserve Thursday night and we tracked a blood trail through the brush, dog came out bloody from tracking, but never found the hog.

Using a knife instead of a firearm will get you street cred. And your man card will be upgraded to a platinum edition.

But if you want to win the internet, you need to kill that hog with your USGI mess kit's soup cup.

63006798-8D8F-4EC9-90A0-3F20E8CF52AB.png

Right, I meant tea cup.

Back
Top Bottom