• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

what is the cost on these?
There’s a few different bundles.

Single radio $62.99 - 20% off right now

Radio + 2 batteries/ 2 antenna - 10% off right now

Radio + charging cradle - 30% off right now

I’m about to order the first one. It’s $48.99 with the discount. Those aren’t affiliate links so I don’t make anything off sales and have no connections with the company. Full disclosure.

If you want a ham handheld, Yaseu and Icom are hard to beat, but pricey.

Definitely like my Yaseu K5. I ran a little comparison of it verses the Tidradio H8 v2. So far I’ve found the H8 has better:

Power (10w vs 5w)
Range (I’m hitting repeaters I couldn’t before)
Frequency hopping
Battery (2500mAh vs 1600mAh)
TX/RX Clarity
Screen
Button feel
Wider UHF band for TX and RX (400-520MHz vs 400-470MHz)
Bluetooth programming (no 3rd party devices)

The Yaseu K5 has a few better features:
Air band
Wireless replication

Otherwise, they have the same features. Including GMRS/FRS, DCS/CTSS, and scrambler (frequency inversion).

The license for the FRS MURS GMRS is a joke .
I don’t know anyone who actually pays for it .
And if the fedgov has ever enforced it ,
It’s news to me .

The FCC refuses to enforce any of the super high powered CB radio users
There’s a few that talk all day with transmitters blasting out many thousands of watts , and the FCC simply doesn’t care , not even after many many complaints .

So I have a very hard time imagining the FCC has ever or will ever enforce any lack of FRS license .

Where I worked we used the cheap bubble pack radios GMRS/ FRS or MURS in the early 2000s and we didn’t bother with a license and they still use them today .

Used them for the maint staff , receptionist had one , daycare staff had one , and the maint guys had one ,
The summer camp staff had them as well but on a different channel

We used the Motorola brand , but it they ever got the slightest bit wet , they were toast , even leaving them outside and getting morning dew on them , ruined them.
On top of a big hill , the GMRS / FRS / MURS will barely reach 1/4 mile in hilly terrain, they might do a couple miles across a lake or something with zero trees .

We also used em for our kids ,
We’d let our kids go play around in the neighborhood and they loved carrying they radios and talking to each other .
And no we didn’t and don’t have a license.
If 2000 people per week can illegally cross the border and the fedgov won’t enforce that law , then I ain’t getting a license for a radio with a 1/2 mile range .
Plus , I’m a lawbreaker anyway , yesterday I made 73 lane changes without using a blinker .

The ham radio users will get upset if you talk on the ham frequency’s and sound like you don’t belong .

If you talk on their channels and sound like you know what you’re doing , then they don’t get upset .

CBs require too much antenna ,
The antenna has to be so long to get any range , beyond a couple miles .

As for repeaters , in any situation where the power grid is down for a day or more the cell Towers will be down ,
Most cell towers and most private repeater towers have backup generators but their fuel suplly is limited .

These hand held radios are good for short range communications, which is vital in lots of situations, even just around the house , or camping or hiking etc
not just SHTF

There are also some nice radios that people doing off road car racing use

Not the cheapest , but usually very rugged and reliable .

Back
Top Bottom