• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best bulk handloaded SD bullet?

Right up front -- the 10mm is my favorite cartridge. Acknowledging that fact, I also think it is too much bullet for self defense when loaded to its max power. I prefer the Forty. My personal skill and ability are optimized with a hi-capacity Forty.

I would like to see the 10mm HST used on some hogs.

Too much bullet for self defense? I scoff at your nonsense.

Dude, Buffalo Bore is 1200 fps with a 220 pill.

BB is no Joke.

If 44 mag is your flavor, also try Garrett's Hard Cast.

They load any caliber you want as long as it's 44MAG or 45-70 ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404445636.527463.jpg

And I'd suggest that if it's accurate enough for those rogue Buzz Lightyears @ 20 yards, it's good enough for era thang else SD.

Speer Gold Dots in 40/10mm and 357mag--Good Enough for lots of Law Enforcement departments. I like the bonded jacket concept.

230 FMJ ball for 45--It's all you need and is not likely to exit the target.

124 grain Gold Dots or Hornady XTP's for the 9mm--Same reasons as the 40/10 and 357.

110 grain Remington Semi-Jacketed HP for the 38--I want the penetration, since I do not get expansion.

Price does not really factor into SD ammo for me, I only make my own in small amounts.

Nice question, glad you did not include the 380, 32ACP, 25ACP or 22 as SD ammo.

Ahhh yes this is what I'm looking for.

Can you order the gold dots in bulk? If so where?

230 grain ball doesn't need to expand and even lowly 230 grain lead cast will do the deed, at the right speed, no need to spend coin on performance ammo IMO.

9mm is the smallest caliber I would consider for common SD protection. I do carry a .380 but it's better than strong words and in the right scenario I'm lethal with it.

I've loaded the xtps, like how they feed and perform.

The price is attractive and looking at several samples of my HD rounds it seems to be popular. This actually was my decision but I wanted to see what others though/used.

Hopefully to link to a source of reasonably priced SD reloading bullets. With all the banter, I wonder what bullet buffalo bore uses. I can push a bullet to their velocity, might not be within SAAMI but won't bust a gasket either. I don't see the need to exceed though. A douche bag won't know the difference between 1,300 FPS and 1,200 FPS. He'd be dead.

The price is attractive and looking at several samples of my HD rounds it seems to be popular. This actually was my decision but I wanted to see what others though/used.

Hopefully to link to a source of reasonably priced SD reloading bullets. With all the banter, I wonder what bullet buffalo bore uses. I can push a bullet to their velocity, might not be within SAAMI but won't bust a gasket either. I don't see the need to exceed though. A douche bag won't know the difference between 1,300 FPS and 1,200 FPS. He'd be dead.

The ones I use are straight up hard cast lead.

Stout! ...Underwood's is no slouch either - 220gr hard cast also @1,200fps. Also a comparative value at ~$0.80/rd vs. nearly twice as much at $1.57/rd for the Buffalo Bore. I mentioned the 180 HST as I believe the 180gr is the largest Federal makes at 0.400in but I'm not positive.

RamRod - I know Kevin Underwood has had procurement challenges with getting GDs for their production runs on a consistent schedule but your question got me to poking around the Googlesphere a bit and came across this site with pulled GDs, HSTs, and others http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/40-10mm-180-Grain-HST-HP-500-Count-40-180-HST-Pul-500-Ct.htm. Has anyone heard of them or used them before?

Also the 10mm guys may find this interesting (just putting a link so the video doesn't jam up the thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrXoG4N7ySI

Also... http://10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm-ammo/federal-hst-bullets/

---updated---

It looks like Buffalo Bore uses pretty much whatever JHPs they can procure (which is probably why they don't specify it on their site or the box), often Sierra Power Jackets:
http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10...jhc-tomorrow-with-underwood-and-pbr-180's/30/

Very tempting $75/500 but the mixed 155, 165 etc. bullets turned me off.

I've loaded the xtp on several pistol calibers, really like it on 357 Sig loaded on the upper range of powder charge.

I haven't bought in a while so can't tell you a good source currently, but Graff's just sent a "sale" catalog out that I haven't looked at yet.... Will let you know if I find something

Back
Top Bottom