• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best chainsaw for big jobs - Pic added

rlmblm21

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
oak down.jpg
So, aside from your everyday chainsaw (16 inch bar, etc., for keeping smaller trees in line), what is the best chainsaw for bigger jobs? I am talking about those every-once-in-a-while jobs, when a giant oak tree falls down and you want to reclaim that firewood? We are generally Stihl fans, but we are looking at the Husqvarna 466 (24 inch bar). What are your experiences?

Stihl farm boss here.
We looked at it, but I think we need something bigger than that. We have a MAMMOTH oak tree down, and I think the farm boss really caps out at about a 20 inch bar. (I know you can put a 22" on it, but I am not sure it's well matched with the motor.) We love the Farm boss; my brother has one. But I think I gotta have bigger.

We looked at it, but I think we need something bigger than that. We have a MAMMOTH oak tree down, and I think the farm boss really caps out at about a 20 inch bar. (I know you can put a 22" on it, but I am not sure it's well matched with the motor.) We love the Farm boss; my brother has one. But I think I gotta have bigger.
I love my farm boss , I cleared 2 acres of trees myself with it

Facebook marketplace has tons of commercial saws for sale, most look brand new for 50% off...

I currently have a Stihl 066 magnum that I bought in 1991. However, the last downed tree I climbed upon and straddled was 56" in diameter (In the Adirondacks) and I used my Ms440 purchased new in 2003 with a Windsor speed tip 36"... Never stopped the chain, and I prefer skip tooth on the longer bars. Recently I sold my 3120xp Husky as it was also the powerhead to my alpine magnum grinder. I suspect a 4 cubic inch saw will easily handle any tree left standing in Georgia. If I were looking for a Husky that I could play with the high speed jet and such, I would seek out a used 372xp or the older 268xp or special...… I personally am not a fan of the newer saw models.

I added a pic for better understanding. Building is 10x10, that my husband built by hand. (Floor is deckboards.) The tree is probably over 100 feet tall, and when it landed on the shed, it twisted the entire building, floor, foundation, etc.

View attachment 2588865 So, aside from your everyday chainsaw (16 inch bar, etc., for keeping smaller trees in line), what is the best chainsaw for bigger jobs? I am talking about those every-once-in-a-while jobs, when a giant oak tree falls down and you want to reclaim that firewood? We are generally Stihl fans, but we are looking at the Husqvarna 466 (24 inch bar). What are your experiences?
Love my Dolmar (now Makita) 6100. It is big enough for most any jobs I am going to do. Will run a 24” bar. There is a dealer close to you, Repair Barn in Canton on Knox Bridge highway, just toward downtown Canton from Cherokee gun and pawn. They are good people to deal with. I am a Stihl fan too and have two of those but the Dolmar is almost always the one I grab when there is work to be done.

Back
Top Bottom