• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best dog for the family?

Labrador Retriever by far will love and take care of the kids and be a best friend. Very good to train, once they get out of the puppy stage.

I grew up with a German Shepherd and he was a great dog.

Very smart, liked to play, gentle around family, very protective.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the hip problems they have I'd say it was a perfect breed of dog. Not sure if you consider it "long hair" or not?

Good luck in your choice. There's a reason they say dogs are man's best friend!

Oh, and try to get one from a rescue/pound if possible.

[Broken External Image]:

The puppy stage can be very trying with just about any dog but especially retriever breeds since they are "mouthy" dogs-it's what they are bred to do. That being said they usually have very good temperaments and will typically get better with age. Expect 3-5 years with no training before they really start to settle into the type of dog people expect them to be. On the other hand, as many have suggested, a pound dog can get you closer to what you want since they are typically older and can give you a good idea of what they are like already. I'm a dog trainer and I'm very close in proximity to you so feel free to pm if you have any specific questions. *Edit: Ken Fords list isn't a bad place to start.

Last edited:
Two Golden Retrievers I had were great, literally from birth. Seemed to be house/truck trained by themselves. Shepards are nearly a natural pet but they can learn so much more.I have a pair of Bull Mastiff/Labrador hybrid breed. They are like old friends to me and protect my family and property while I'm away.Get a hold of BULLMASADOR on GON he gives the breed away, (to good homes only) at least he used to.BTW only use I have for GON... J/K. LOL

20140810_195753.jpg

Our pound hound looks almost exactly like Potenza's lab mix. Really friendly, but if someone worries her, she'll start barking and come get me instead of going after them, which I am willing to live with.

Back
Top Bottom