• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handgun for a rank novice?

I would not call the Glock a true DAO, because the striker is partially cocked by the rearward movement of the slide.

A true DAO semi-auto has “second strike” capability. The Glock does not have second strike capability, therefore it is not a true DAO.
...but Kemosabe, the S&W Model 5946--Widely known as a DAO Pistola--Has no Second-Strike capability--Que Pasa?

I have a friend who wants a handgun for protection - he has to visit bad sections of town at night sometimes for his job.

His mechanical aptitude peaked the day he learned how to operate a manual screwdriver.

I can imagine the gun getting ZERO attention for many years and then being brought in to action in an emergency.

The handgun would need to be ultra-reliable with next to no maintenance.

What should he get?
Beretta 92fs. Call it a day. Wait a minute, you said no maintenance? Glock are Ak.

Here we go. "Second strike capability." Derrrrrr

Not one of my personal criteria for a handgun. I haven’t carried a handgun with that feature since since I was issued my last DA/SA P229 years ago. Nowadays I carry striker-fired or a Staccato.

DAO might be good for a novice for reasons that have nothing to do with second strike capability, but rather a longer and heavier trigger pull which can prevent accidental discharges under stress
(by a person who is poorly trained or not trained at all in weapons handling.)

CZ P-10c. They are cheap ($300-350), reliable, accurate and have a great trigger. I've owned 99.9% of the striker fired pistols and P-10c is my go-to when it comes to a Glock 19 sized handgun.

PXL_20210520_235909546 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom