• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handgun for a rank novice?

ln_strike-gregzaj1.gif

Oh, now you did it...

No doubt I am on the revolver bandwagon BUT!!!!!! you MUST get your friend to attend a couple classes. They are offered free by almost every local, county, and state LE in the land. If not there is a chance he might shoot himself or me or a lady with 3 kids. This is NOT a maybe. It is NOT a I will think about it. Give up the idea all together or might as well carry mace or go ahead and shoot himself in the head.

In any case, even the average shooter, much less the novice, will ever notice trigger weight or length of pull in a stressful situation. Not saying it's right, just saying it is. Having been involved in several after action shooting investigations I can say that not once did the shooter ever mention trigger break, over travel, length of pull or any of the other things that well trained people might consider. They pulled, pointed, and fired at the threat wanting only that the threat go away!
I’m confused. Are you stating that because someone doesn’t take note of trigger weight under stress, it doesn’t impact the shooters ability to accurately fire a weapon?

"The Glock system does not incorporate a pre-set striker like a SAO firearm. The Glock is a DAO system. It may not be what you're used to as being called a DAO trigger, but pulling the trigger pulls back the striker a bit before releasing it. You could call it a short DAO trigger pull."
Isn't the Glock performance trigger setting the striker now? I'd make sure he has a really good flashlight to use for blinding and with a strike bezel in addition to Glock 17 or 19. If he goes revolver, get a .357 and use defensive .38 Special loads in it. A GP100 would be great. Once it's empty he can beat them death it with.

I’m confused. Are you stating that because someone doesn’t take note of trigger weight under stress, it doesn’t impact the shooters ability to accurately fire a weapon?

Simply stating that the untrained shooter is going to be no more accurate under stress with a custom built combat weapon than they are with an off the rack dao revolver. Many don't even recall a sight picture. Not saying that they didn't get one they just don't recall it. If you go back and read the op's post, he's asking about a weapon for a novice who probably will shoot very little. Besides taking one safety course is not going to make anyone a better shot. Shooting is a degradable skill.

I would say that the dao revolver was idiot proof but then someone would just build a better idiot.

Back
Top Bottom