Best quitting story?

mattp38

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
20   0
Reaction score
This thread was inspired by Tazz Tazz what is your best quitting/fired story? Everybody loves a good quitting story! Here's mine...

15 years ago I was the produce manager at a local Walmart. I had been overworked and underpaid for quite some time (typical in retail). I was the hourly department manager and the assistant store manager over my department (twice my salary) got fired because among many reasons, I was doing his job and mine. When they fired him they told me they weren't gonna replace him since I knew how to do his job too and they bumped my pay $2 per hour. They said they couldn't promote me due to the fact they couldn't afford to not have me at the store for several weeks due to having to send me to the regional training store. This rocks on for around a year, I complained about the added workload and the lack of compensation that in order to "appease" me they made the assistant store manager over deli/bakery responsible for produce as well. Upon hearing of her added responsibility she told me "I don't know anything about your department, I'm just gonna let you run it." So now I'm back to square one. Eventually my district manager who was quite favorable of me found out what had been going on and assured me that he would promote me (double my pay) immediately upon his return the following week from the corporate meetings in Bentonville, without making me go through the training program because I had already been preforming the job at a high level for some time. The following week we received word that he had been involved in a bad car accident in Arkansas and retired immediately! When I approached our new district manager about the agreement that her predecessor and I had in place, she promptly told me that's not how she operates and that would not be happening. A lot more transpired over the next few months that I'll spate you the lengthy details on, but during this time I was approached by a food brokerage company for a district manager position (4 times my salary). I was preparing for my upcoming vacation and lined everything up for the store so my department could be properly cared for in my absence. I printed out an entire weeks order guide and pencil whipped it for a general idea of how I usually order to help my boss, the aforementioned deli/bakery manager that knew nothing about produce. The first day of my vacation the food brokerage firm called and said the position in my territory was open and mine if I wanted it. I agreed and they said "when can you start?" I said "next Monday?" (The day I was supposed to return to Walmart). I probably should have called them and would have ordinarily worked a notice, but I was over it and tired of being screwed over. I waited until Sunday (the day before I was supposed to return) and called to check on my department. The deli/bakery manager answered and said "Oh my God I'll be so glad when you get back! You're department is EMPTY!" I said "empty? I gave you a pre-filled order guide for the entire week!" She said "I lost it the day you left!" So I asked "you couldn't have just guessed?" She explained that she was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do and was just thankful I'd be back the next day. LOL! I then told her "well, you're fixin to hate me, I'm not coming back." She said "don't even joke like that!" When I assured her it wasn't a joke she promptly gave me an "eff you" and hung up. I stopped by the store that night when I got back into town and she wasn't playing, my department was empty shelves! :) Leaving that place was the best decision I ever made.

This story makes me sound like a jerk, but I assure you a lot of other details were left out for sake of length of story. There was a lot of crap I had put up with for a good while and I was just fed up! Soooo...

What you got? Let's here some stories, I've got another, but I'll wait.

This thread was inspired by Tazz Tazz what is your best quitting/fired story? Everybody loves a good quitting story! Here's mine...

15 years ago I was the produce manager at a local Walmart. I had been overworked and underpaid for quite some time (typical in retail). I was the hourly department manager and the assistant store manager over my department (twice my salary) got fired because among many reasons, I was doing his job and mine. When they fired him they told me they weren't gonna replace him since I knew how to do his job too and they bumped my pay $2 per hour. They said they couldn't promote me due to the fact they couldn't afford to not have me at the store for several weeks due to having to send me to the regional training store. This rocks on for around a year, I complained about the added workload and the lack of compensation that in order to "appease" me they made the assistant store manager over deli/bakery responsible for produce as well. Upon hearing of her added responsibility she told me "I don't know anything about your department, I'm just gonna let you run it." So now I'm back to square one. Eventually my district manager who was quite favorable of me found out what had been going on and assured me that he would promote me (double my pay) immediately upon his return the following week from the corporate meetings in Bentonville, without making me go through the training program because I had already been preforming the job at a high level for some time. The following week we received word that he had been involved in a bad car accident in Arkansas and retired immediately! When I approached our new district manager about the agreement that her predecessor and I had in place, she promptly told me that's not how she operates and that would not be happening. A lot more transpired over the next few months that I'll spate you the lengthy details on, but during this time I was approached by a food brokerage company for a district manager position (4 times my salary). I was preparing for my upcoming vacation and lined everything up for the store so my department could be properly cared for in my absence. I printed out an entire weeks order guide and pencil whipped it for a general idea of how I usually order to help my boss, the aforementioned deli/bakery manager that knew nothing about produce. The first day of my vacation the food brokerage firm called and said the position in my territory was open and mine if I wanted it. I agreed and they said "when can you start?" I said "next Monday?" (The day I was supposed to return to Walmart). I probably should have called them and would have ordinarily worked a notice, but I was over it and tired of being screwed over. I waited until Sunday (the day before I was supposed to return) and called to check on my department. The deli/bakery manager answered and said "Oh my God I'll be so glad when you get back! You're department is EMPTY!" I said "empty? I gave you a pre-filled order guide for the entire week!" She said "I lost it the day you left!" So I asked "you couldn't have just guessed?" She explained that she was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do and was just thankful I'd be back the next day. LOL! I then told her "well, you're fixin to hate me, I'm not coming back." She said "don't even joke like that!" When I assured her it wasn't a joke she promptly gave me an "eff you" and hung up. I stopped by the store that night when I got back into town and she wasn't playing, my department was empty shelves! :) Leaving that place was the best decision I ever made.

This story makes me sound like a jerk, but I assure you a lot of other details were left out for sake of length of story. There was a lot of crap I had put up with for a good while and I was just fed up! Soooo...

How about that, I don’t know if I’ve ever been an inspiration to anyone before. lol!
I’ve got one but it’s kinda long and I’m beat. Gotta get up early and head south to visit my son for the weekend. I’ll get back to ya later....

I don't know if anybody can match that but that's a damn good story and I love it.
I'm the guy that's all about doing everything the right way but you did everything the right way and got screwed over for it.
I hope everything is going great for you now !

A close family member has been getting the same runaround from walmart for years. Promise of a managers position but....we can't spare you, you're too important in your department, blah, blah, blah. She's turned down offers of much better jobs just because she has so much time invested.
I keep telling her that nobody's impressed by how hard she works, they're only impressed that you're dumb enough to work that hard.
WW really is a godawful business.

Back
Top Bottom